Speaking of the Fender Marauder... the original one...

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually listened to and watched that entire video, and I have to agree - there are some cool sounds in the new Marauder.

Phil, I can't believe you're coming round to the new Marauder (at least the sounds, hehe)! The dirty tones are interesting too.

awesome thread Phil. Good read.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Check this out - I found an old thread (2001) over on FDP with a guy (Robb Lawrence - member name Stratct) who owns a Marauder. An original. And a clone. And a Marauder Mandola. He's also tracked down and photographed many, if not most of the original prototypes, including the Strat shaped one (which once belonged to Fender's legendary Freddie Tavares) that bieke posted earlier. It's an interesting read.

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=2001&topic_number=107568

I wonder if he ever did interview Porky Freeman.

• Members
The standard version (shown in the '65 catalog) had sixteen polepieces (two rows of eight) all flush to the custom deep square bobbins. They really don't have that normal Fender sparkly tonality or quite the string output without the magnetic polepiece in close proximity to the string. Even with the slightly lowered neck set it still sounded a bit muffled compared to Leo's popular models. That's exactly why it didn't take off for a production model.

Yup - I thought of you and your comments when I read that. :) However, the clips from earlier in the thread, with the re-creation Type I Marauder (with pickups which look identical to the ones in the patent drawing and in the other prototype pics like the one bieke posted) didn't sound overly dark or muffled to me at all. :idk:

I think the "lowered neck set" is another tip that may help for a workable stealth pickup. The issue isn't the layer of plastic (or Mustang pickups wouldn't work), it's the physical distance and the strings being too far outside of the magnetic field that causes issues for the stealth pickup concept. By lowering the neck pocked a bit - making it deeper - the top of the neck and the strings will sit lower and closer to the pickguard than on a standard Fender, which should help.

Another thing that would probably help, and that I'm not sure if they could do back then was to "direct" or "focus" the magnetic field, or just use ungodly strong magnets that have enough "reach" to sense the string vibration from that distance. I'm not sure if you can get strong enough permanent magnets for the purpose or not, or if they'd sound any good or not though. As far as focusing the magnetic field, that can be done with a few strips of metal alloy plates strategically positioned next to the magnets or coil.

Archived