Sign in to follow this  
Phil O'Keefe

Speaking of the Fender Marauder... the original one...

IMG_9330.jpg

If you cover the headstock and ignore the H, it doesn't look like it would be a Fender. It does look cool though.

And man I want to build a Marauder like that one in the clip. Maybe in shoreline gold though.

Apparently my friend's brother designed the Voyager. Ha ha I told her to tell him to mix the butterscotch one with the back one and do hidden pickups, butterscotch finish, and a black pickguard.

By the way. The universe just ended. We knew something about Fender that Phil didn't know. 2012 was no joke.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think one of the 8 original Marauders would go for?

Name your price.

I'm being serious. Any authentic Marauder from the first prototype run is so rare that many expert vintage guitar collectors have never seen one. The few that are out there almost never come up for sale. In fact, I THINK only two of the Marauder prototypes are known to still exist - both having been formerly owned by Porky Freeman. If that's the case, and the other six were destroyed, they are even rarer, and thus the price on the remaining two would also go up. However, even if all eight exist, they're still almost as scarce as hen's teeth. Not quite as rare as the (possibly non-existent) original 1957 Gibson Moderne, but pretty much Fender's version of that rarest of electric solidbody guitars.

My guess on the price of a authentic first-gen (hidden pickups) Fender Marauder? Six figures - easily. Maybe half a million? It would be a very expensive guitar.

Both of those are the second generation prototypes. Still from the 60s, but obviously without the hidden pickups under their pickguards. None of those were ever officially offered for sale either, although I don't think they're quite as rare as the other ones.

Name your price.

I'm being serious. Any authentic Marauder from the first prototype run is so rare that many expert vintage guitar collectors have never seen one. The few that are out there almost never come up for sale. In fact, I THINK only two of the Marauder prototypes are known to still exist - both having been formerly owned by Porky Freeman. If that's the case, and the other six were destroyed, they are even rarer, and thus the price on the remaining two would also go up. However, even if all eight exist, they're still almost as scarce as hen's teeth. Not quite as rare as the (possibly non-existent) original 1957 Gibson Moderne, but pretty much Fender's version of that rarest of electric solidbody guitars.

My guess on the price of a authentic first-gen (hidden pickups) Fender Marauder? Six figures - easily. Maybe half a million? It would be a very expensive guitar.

The difference, of course, would be that while the Moderne would be ugly, it would still sound and play like a 50's Gibson. The Marauder, I'm guessing probably didn't sound all that good, otherwise they would have gone into production. Which is pretty remarkable for CBS Fender standards.

The difference, of course, would be that while the Moderne would be ugly, it would still sound and play like a 50's Gibson. The Marauder, I'm guessing probably didn't sound all that good, otherwise they would have gone into production. Which is pretty remarkable for CBS Fender standards.

Please have a listen to the YouTube video earlier in the thread. :) Those pickups and the entire build seem consistent with the patent documents, so I have to assume that the guitar doesn't sound all that different from a "real" first-gen prototype Marauder. IMHO, it sounds pretty good. :) I think the issue was more likely a dispute between Porky Freeman and CBS / Fender - from what I've heard and read, the project probably started under Leo's watch, in 1964.

Look at the catalog that the pictures of the Marauders are in - it's the '65 catalog, which means the one right after the sale of Fender to CBS. The Marauder stuff went into the catalog because it was a guitar Fender had been working on and was planning on releasing at the time of the sale, but maybe CBS balked at the licensing fee they would have had to pay Porky Freeman, or maybe he didn't like them or... who knows? :idk: I think it more than likely had something to do with the change of ownership at Fender, with the old owner being more into the project than the new owners were... or maybe one of the patent holders (Mr Freeman) was not willing to continue the project under the terms the new Fender owners were offering.

A lot of that is pure speculation on my part, but the timeline puts it right around the time of the sale of Fender, and I can't help but think that it was somehow relevant.

Please have a listen to the YouTube video earlier in the thread.
:)

The clip sounds OK, if not particularly distinctive. It is, after all, just a YT clip.

The ones in the catalog have full blown CBS cosmetics. Is there any evidence that the guitars in the catalog actually have anything under the pickguard?

So, basically, if i ever see a Marauder (the original) I should offer to buy it for like 5 grand and hope the guy doesn't know what it is.

pic of an early Marauder prototype

fender_marauder.jpg

Marauder guts being tested in a Jaguar.

the aim was to put Vibrato Arm under the guard, buried in a channel.

You press down on that brown thing (no option to pull up notes)

No divebombing either methinks

So, basically, if i ever see a Marauder (the original) I should offer to buy it for like 5 grand and hope the guy doesn't know what it is.

yes, but plug it in before you buy it, allegedly some of the prototypes were dummies, non working

yes, but plug it in before you buy it, allegedly some of the prototypes were dummies, non working

I don't think it would matter for the resale. It's a historical piece.

OK then, there was one offered for sale in Sweden a couple of years ago

and another one is owned by a Japanese collector