New guitar suggestions please.

tom92

• Members

Got some money and I want a new guitar. My MIM tele needs a lot of work and eventually I'll learn to do millions upon millions of mods on it.

I'm aiming for a Manchester Orchestra type sound ideally, trying to keep my set up as simple as possible as well. Currently, just using Polytune & Way Huge Green Rhino into an AC15C1.

At first I fancied a just getting an MIA strat even if they're a bit boring looking they play great.

The new 50th Anniversary Jaguars are beyond gorgeous but I had a CIJ jag for nearly a year that I just couldn't get on with, the neck was too thin and it sounded too thin itself.

A Gibson ES-335 is probably my dream guitar but at

The necks on the 50th anniversary Jags are actually not quite as thin and svelte as the ones on the MIJ's I've played. You should try one out for yourself before making a final decision about them. I suspect you'll like the sound of them better too - they're alder instead of the basswood that was used on most of the 80s / 90s MIJ's, and they have better pickups in them too... plus the vibrato plate is moved closer to the bridge than on a MIJ, giving them a bit more down angle across the bridge - all of which contribute to a beefier sound with better sustain.

• Members

Well you've got a Tele.....they also play Teles/LPs/335s with humbuckers.

So I'd get a humbucker equipped guitar....get an Epi Sheraton or Dot & upgrade the pickups.

I fancied putting a humbucker in my tele. For some reason I've never got on with any Epi that I've played :S

• Members

Save for the ES-335 if it is your dream guitar. Yeah, saving money is hard but you'll thank yourself for it once you've got the 335 in front of you.

The philosopher speaketh the truth again... Well worth the wait for mine (even though it didn't seem like it while saving), and maybe another idea for your new axe?

G6128TVP.jpg

Sounds like I'll have to wait a month and then go try them out when some places get them in stock! Any thoughts on the Johnny Marr Jag?

Yes - they're spectacular. I love the sounds / pickups and the switching. The neck is a little larger (front to back, and through the "shoulders") than the 50th Anniversary Jaguar, but not by much. If you're looking for a beefier neck on a Jaguar, that's probably the model to look at first, but do try the 50th Anniversary models too - you might like the neck on those as well.

Archived