NGD (Squier Jazzmaster content)

IRG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, I've been reading Gambit's posts for sure! I still like the gold pickguard more than black though. IF I were to change, which is doubtful, I might go with a green mint guard, otherwise I think the gold looks good on the JM.

• Members

You should give it a try. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but I have quickly. Price is right, and the quality is really good. I was thinking of getting a Classic Player model, but I might actually think this one is nicer - the neck for me is preferable on this model, and I like the look better too. $400 with tax, tough to beat.

I should. But I don't have the cash. I really want to paint one like a flaked out navy blue and leave the gold guard. It would be so snazzy.

• Members

Looks good Ian
:thu:

Thanks man, quite smitten with this thing. Honeymoon phase of course. For the $ though, really hard to beat. Squier has really upped their game with this one. No doubt they would sell tons more if they had these in like 3-4 other colors.

• Members
Yep, I've been reading Gambit's posts for sure! I still like the gold pickguard more than black though. IF I were to change, which is doubtful, I might go with a green mint guard, otherwise I think the gold looks good on the JM.

Ha! Its like we share the same brain, I have a mint guard on its way to the house right now. Phil poo-poo'd the mint on cream scheme, but I think it will look tight. Take that, Phil! :eekphil::D

• Members

Thanks man, quite smitten with this thing. Honeymoon phase of course. For the $ though, really hard to beat. Squier has really upped their game with this one. No doubt they would sell tons more if they had these in like 3-4 other colors.

I thought the same thing about the cv telecasters... especially the different colors idea.

but I imagine if they gave us more colors, they could start to cut into the MIM standard sales. I know I would have been more tempted to go with a cv tele if I could have gotten the double bound one in black.

• Members

Ha! Its like we share the same brain, I have a mint guard on its way to the house right now. Phil poo-poo'd the mint on cream scheme, but I think it will look tight. Take that, Phil!
:eekphil::D

Yeah, take that Phil! I think mint green generally looks nice next to a rosewood board, not so keen on it with maple though. It should look tits, and that is all.

• Members

I thought the same thing about the cv telecasters... especially the different colors idea.

but I imagine if they gave us more colors, they could start to cut into the MIM standard sales. I know I would have been more tempted to go with a cv tele if I could have gotten the double bound one in black.

That is my guess too. In fact with a Jazzmaster, I think it eats into their higher end sales, since there isn't a $499 MIM option, the closest thing is the CP models, at $799. I'm really not sure either, if the CP models are any better than the Mascis Squier. And if you don't like glossy necks, you could argue the Mascis JM is the better feeling guitar. I'd have to play both side by side to hear tonal differences. My guess is that they're both pretty close to each other. If there was a nitro finish on the body of this guitar (never would happen, but what if...) then they'd be eating into their AVRI sales too. So as it is, it's a nice guitar that maybe fills the void of a JM MIM standard model, and maybe beyond that too, since there isn't a MIA model right now. I wonder if Fender has ever rethought about how to market/develop the offset models. They make tons of Teles and especially strats, but at some point, I would think moving their offset guitars with more options, would mean more sales overall.

• Members

That Telecaster
:love:

Tell me more about it.

Well this is my SPECIAL guitar, that I won from PGS back in 2010. I got to pick out any Fender Custom Shop guitar in their shop, and a bunch of the guys from the Custom Shop were there too, helping me try out various models.

This one just felt right, ash, light weight, heavy relic (obviously), Abigail hand wound pickups. Sounds so sweet, and feels like the best pair of worn jeans you'll ever have on. I wouldn't have paid this much for it new myself, but getting it for free (plus other stuff), made the choice very easy :)

• Members

I will say one thing that needs improvement, the volume pot, when you roll it down a bit, especially to clean up an overdrive, really makes the sound sound like a wet blanket over the amp tone. It kills all highs way too quickly. What kind of pot should I get if i were to replace it? It operates fine, the feel of it isn't bad at all, it just muddies up the tone with just a hair turned down any. The tone control seems to work ok, just the volume.

One thing I was surprised about, in a good way, is the noise from the pickups isn't bad at all, none in the middle position, and the bridge or neck are pretty quiet overall, definitely better than my tele. I was expecting it to be noisier.

• Members

I will say one thing that needs improvement, the volume pot, when you roll it down a bit, especially to clean up an overdrive, really makes the sound sound like a wet blanket over the amp tone. It kills all highs way too quickly. What kind of pot should I get if i were to replace it? It operates fine, the feel of it isn't bad at all, it just muddies up the tone with just a hair turned down any. The tone control seems to work ok, just the volume.

One thing I was surprised about, in a good way, is the noise from the pickups isn't bad at all, none in the middle position, and the bridge or neck are pretty quiet overall, definitely better than my tele. I was expecting it to be noisier.

I put a treble bleed in my strats to take care of that.

Archived