NGD (Squier Jazzmaster content)

IRG

• Members

Just got this today, the new Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster. Ordered it Tuesday from Alto Music in NY (Long Island I think) arrived 48 hours later.

My first Jazzmaster, and I have to say, I really like it. First off, the quality of this Squier is truly amazing. Looks great, feels great, sounds really good too. The neck is not glossy at all, and may be the best aspect of this guitar. It has a nice satin feel to it, frets are perfect on it, setup was almost perfect too. String height might be a tad high, but I'll likely leave it alone for a while. Seems to stay in tune pretty well, I might loob down the nut when I put new strings on it, but fine for now. Pickups sound good on this, no need to change them, at least not for a while. I like the middle position a lot, a nice mix of good bass, and nice chime all at once. The bridge position is very usable too, better than the strat I sold for sure. The neck alone is nice, maybe not quite as great as a good strat neck, but I like it. The controls all feel quality, switches, pots, etc. Not sure I quite get the upper switch and controls, but they do give you another very different tone for sure.

All in all, a terrific value. I was thinking of getting a mid level amp, glad I went for this instead. Some pics, which there don't seem to be many of on the web yet:

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

And one with my tele:

IMG_2777.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congratulations! It's gorgeous!

The upper switch kicks in the neck pickup, bypassing the pickup switch. It's the "rhythm" position, when it's up. It also has a different cap than when it's down in the "lead" position, giving it a richer, warmer tone than when using the neck pickup in the lead position.

Has there been ANYONE who has gotten one of these who didn't love it?

• Members

Looks really nice.

Hows the tremolo? Using it a lot?

I'm using it, somewhat subtle at this point. I'm not a huge tremolo user anyways. It seems like I need to use a bit more force with it then a strat, but it may be a while before I get used to it. Seems fine overall though.

From what people have said, if the guitar has a weak spot, it's the tremolo. I wonder if the CP's locking trem with screw-in whammy bar will fit in the hole?

The review unit's trem creaks and moans acoustically when you work it hard, but it's not audible through the output jack. One of the original strings slipped at the ball end, causing the tuning on the high E to slip badly for a bit, but other than that, it returns to pitch pretty well, and I had no real complaints about the vibrato. True, it lacks the lock button, but the bar seems to stay in place pretty well. As far as replacing it with a Fender AVRI or MIJ unit, I suspect they'd fit, but again, I have not done any side-by-side comparisons, nor do I know of anyone who has done it yet, so that is still unconfirmed.

• Members

got mine a couple of weeks back.. excellent guitar for the money. :thu:

the trem arm was lost in the shop (on order now, should be here.. eventually..) but as the part isn't available in it's own right from Squier, the distributor has confirmed that a MIJ trem bar will fit the Squier, so that's what i'll be getting.

i guess this would suggest that you could replace the whole tremolo unit for a MIJ one without any issues :idk:

• Members

The review unit's trem creaks and moans acoustically when you work it hard, but it's not audible through the output jack. One of the original strings slipped at the ball end, causing the tuning on the high E to slip badly for a bit, but other than that, it returns to pitch pretty well, and I had no real complaints about the vibrato. True, it lacks the lock button, but the bar seems to stay in place pretty well. As far as replacing it with a Fender AVRI or MIJ unit, I suspect they'd fit, but again, I have not done any side-by-side comparisons, nor do I know of anyone who has done it yet, so that is still unconfirmed.

Thanks, Phil. I thought there was something about it....There's also the MIM CP trem....

• Members

Looks snazzy. It's becoming hard to avoid trying one out.

You should give it a try. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but I have quickly. Price is right, and the quality is really good. I was thinking of getting a Classic Player model, but I might actually think this one is nicer - the neck for me is preferable on this model, and I like the look better too. $400 with tax, tough to beat.

• Members

this guitar is really popular. gad damn I want one. But I have a strong feeling I will not like it.

Do you like Fenders in general? Especially the strat - if so, I would be surprised you wouldn't like it. I suppose the type of music you play might make some difference too. Really heavy metal and such, might not be the best match. But it does like fuzz, that's for sure.

• Members

Nice review and pics, IRG. I just got mine yesterday after being on backorder all year, so consider yourself lucky that yours arrived so quick. Never owned a Squier before, but this thing is very nice. IIRC, gambit posted a thread with a new black pickguard that fit perfectly and looks much better than the gold imho.

Archived