NPD: Deluxe Big Muff Pi

• Members

photo.jpg

Bought this off Craigslist yesterday morning. When I got home I played around with it and compared it to my RonSound triangle modded Big Muff so I figured I'd record something today to show everyone the difference. Clips incoming !

http://soundcloud.com/ashhicks/weedly

This is a direct side by side, the first is the triangle, second is the Deluxe. There's a loss of volume in the deluxe when you use the series mode. Settings are, volume 50%, tone 1 oclock, sustain maxed on the triangle, the deluxe has the comp and fuzz volume maxed, threshold at the setting in the picture. Sustain and tone are matched.

http://soundcloud.com/ashhicks/dbmpparallel

Running in parallel with the comp and fuzz volume maxed. As you can hear, there's a lot of clean signal coming through.

http://soundcloud.com/ashhicks/dbmpnocomp

Running in parallel with no comp volume and fuzz volume maxed.

• Members

on the whole though, this pedal kinda sucks. My ronsound muff sounds a million times better.

Something you will realize time and time again, I'm sure. I've tried countless times to find a Big Muff that sounds better than my Ronsound Hairpie '75, and it ain't happening. {censored} is magical.

• Members

Something you will realize time and time again, I'm sure. I've tried countless times to find a Big Muff that sounds better than my Ronsound Hairpie '75, and it ain't happening. {censored} is magical.

I sort of wish i had sent him 3 stock NYC RIs to get each version of the hairpie.

• Members

The DBMP is all about the series switch. I havent found much use for the parallel mode. In series mode the sustain is ridonculous.

As is the case for so many vintage EHX pedals, there is a volume drop from bypass. But I belong to the camp who doesnt give a !@&$

Heh. The sustain is quite good in series but really, the volume drop just kills it for me. The parallel mode sounded really good at practice yesterday, I wasn't lost in the mix with the other guitarist.

• Members

$120. I think someone may have just bought it on TGP though. When he finally sends the money, I'll remove it from the spam threads.

Balls! I don't know why I have such a fascination for these things, and yet I've never tried one. It's an IC Muff and a Soul Preacher's baby though. How could I not be interested? :love::lol:

• Members

It's really not that great... Any other muff probably sounds better. Dude on TGP just sent me the money though, so you'll have to find one elsewhere, sorry dude. You might want to look for the one with the switch that does comp on and off though. The series parallel thing bugs the crap outta me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived