Who makes a cheaper dual delay besides the Boss DD-20?

• Members

Been asked to play some U2 stuff and Edge likes using multiple delays. I have a single Boss DD-3 and I suppose I could just get another, but I would like a dual delay with a readout where I can precisely dial in the speed.

Are there any cheaply priced dual delays out there?

• Members

I can't vouch for the dual delay setting but on a whole the DD-20 is still one of the best delays out there and add to that the very cheap used price and we have ourselves a winner folks.

In response tithe U2 question... Didn't Edge use a DMM for most of those iconic tones? He certainly alludes to that in It Might Get Loud.

• Members

Edge used a DMM for the first 3 albums, from 1984's Unforgettable fire onwards it's mostly been Korg SDD-3000s in the studio and TC2290s live because the korgs don't do presets/ midi switching. He still uses the sdd3000s on tour, but for their volume boost rather than their delays. For all people go on about analogue delays being great sounding, I've read a quote from the edge that basically says the first time he was introduced to a digital delay it was a revelation for him - he hadn't realised how much highs and lows he was loosing and as far as I can see he didn't look back after that. The DMM usage was because that's what they happened to have at the time rather than for any tonal reasons.

The dual delay thing is overrated, I don't actually think dual delays are very important at all for edge type sounds. Clean dotted 8th digital delay with fast modulation is the ticket, and the DD-20 in mod mode does that as well as anything else I've heard (pedal or rack unit).

• Members

The classic dual delay thing or the edge is either a quarter note and a dotted eighth, or an eight amda dotted eighth. I think he tens to run them in series, but parallel duel delays with those subdivision settings will get you close enough though. The absolute cheapest one I can think is the Line 6 Echo Park, which has a quarter note and dotted eighth multi tap mode that you can use with analogue, tape and digital voicings. Great pedal, no readout but it does have tap tempo.

• Members

It's a Multi-FX, which probably isn't what you're looking for,

but my Zoom G2nu has THREE Delays. Got it for $99 new.

So it can run any of the following;

Delay 1-2000ms

Tape Echo 1-1200ms

Modulation Delay 1-2000ms

Dynamic Delay 1-2000ms

(volume varies w/input)

into either a

Delay 1-50000ms

Echo 1-5000ms

Analog Delay 1-5000ms

Ping Pong Delay 1-5000ms

Reverse Delay 10-2500ms

into a

Multi-Tap Delay 1-3000ms

(w/various dual Delay patterns)

• Members

That's what I stated-maybe two DD-3s and just guestimate. You can clearly hear Edge using a fast and slow delay on "Bad"

Are you sure? I can only hear one, it's pretty clear on the high notes of the riff - [video=youtube;IyfaYHMNIuA]

I still think the two delay thing is overrated, and would love to hear a clear recorded example.

• Members

Edge used a DMM for the first 3 albums, from 1984's Unforgettable fire onwards it's mostly been Korg SDD-3000s in the studio and TC2290s live because the korgs don't do presets/ midi switching. He still uses the sdd3000s on tour, but for their volume boost rather than their delays. For all people go on about analogue delays being great sounding, I've read a quote from the edge that basically says the first time he was introduced to a digital delay it was a revelation for him - he hadn't realised how much highs and lows he was loosing and as far as I can see he didn't look back after that. The DMM usage was because that's what they happened to have at the time rather than for any tonal reasons.

).

yes, i dont have any analog delays currently, i do love a old low res digital delay much more, and have several

• Members

The strum tempo thing is good at guessing the time youre aiming for but yeah, it means you cant set tempo after a song has started.

the strum tempo is great for syncing your TC Nova delay in time with your analog delay like a big box DMM or Moog delay.....older analog delays with no tap tempo funtion.

Archived