SOT: Midi Keyboard controllers

iodine74

• Members

Anyone recommend a midi keyboard? Not looking to spend a ton but not something 'cheap'.

Running Ableton Live Lite, GarageBand, Mainstage 2 on a MBP/Lion. Hope to upgrade to Logic soon. Also have an iPad it could be nice to be able to use it with.

I have a Line 6 KB37 I was using with an old windows laptop, should I just stick with it? (obviously of no use with the iPad, but I can deal).

• Members

I'm using a CME U-Key, which is probably leans more towards the budget side rather than the quality side. Kinda plasticy and flimsy, but for the money I've seen much worse. Perfect for me, overkill even, I hardly ever use it.

• Members

those m-audios are garbage. if you're going to spend that much, save a little more and get an mpk88

Give me one reason why you'd classify it as garbage. Ive been using them for 4+ years and they've been flawless.

• Members

I think all the Akai full size controllers have a really strange feel to them - if they feel okay to you, then they do seem like the most well made controllers out these days (though I haven't tried the new Novations). I don't understand why all the keyboard makers have nice keyboards on their synths, but can't manage to put the same keybeds on their controllers . . . If you can find the Roland controllers in stock someplace, they might be worth checking out - their synth keybeds generally feel pretty nice.

• Members

-1 on the Axiom.

+1 on the Akai.

The Akais have nice build quality, really solid. They cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for. I had an Axiom and after about a year it started randomly pitch-bending on me. Like the whole keyboard would transpose 1/4 note sharp. Annoying if it's a home studio piece. Unacceptable if you're gigging, which I was.

• Members

I have a Novation Remote 49 SL that I love.

I've got the 61 key version (the first series, not the mk II) and I agree that it's a great controller. You have aftertouch, automapping, and a large display screen. I highly recommend this series, if you can find one used.

• Members

depends what kind of keybed you want. i spent a few months trying everything and i thought everything felt cheap except for the roland/edirol stuff. i was going to get whatever the latest edirol was but then came into an older roland A30 for like $100 at guitar center and got that instead.

Archived