Pedals In The Studio

smudge_lad

• Members

I generally leave anything that would be in front of the amp in front of the amp. Thus, my dirt pedals, wah, EQ, compression, phase, chorus, etc, etc, etc, all goes on tape (although most of the time I'll leave off chorus and do that by double tracking the guitar). Delay and reverb sort of depend on the situation. 90% of the time I add them in post so I can tweak the entire mix instead of just the guitar. Occasionally, though, I will need THAT sound of a delay or something specific that I can't do in post. In that case, I'll put it on the track.

I'm an endless tweaker, though. My band has only the one guitar (me), so when I hear three distinct guitar parts in my head, I have to squish them together live. On tape, however, I can have all three... and a few variations on each. It's not strange for me to have a dozen takes of guitar parts- all good takes, just with different effect settings, guitar/amp combinations, etc.

One thing I haven't done is use the multiple DI trick. I may start doing that, because it makes a lot of sense.

• Members

Less is more.

Print everything. Don't get trapped in a web of endless editing possibilities.

Doing a ton of preproduction / recording practices / shows helps to distill the tune.

This comment. If it sounds good in the room, it's good. Print it. What's the use of endless editing possibilities if the sound you recorded is great already?

I used to be really neurotic about always having an exit strategy when recording; tracking stuff that could easily be changed to something completely different if I wanted. These days, I'd rather think through the kind of sound I want before hitting record, instead of after.

Archived