Xotic Effects EP Booster

• Members

I've always liked the sound of those Echoplexes, and I can get a pretty good tape sound out of my Superdelay, but I'm a little curious about the EP booster, 1) because I could use a boost pedal for solo's and 2) because I dig the EP sound.

Anyone have one and think it's worth the coin and space on your board?

Also, on topic thread is on topic.

• Members

I can't comment on how realistic it sounds, but it certainly gives an interesting character and warmth (which I think can be made more bright using an internal switch) to your sound and has quite a lot of boost available. I was looking into that and the SHO for an always on boost/character pedal, but wound up not wanting something like that. If you live in Atlanta, I know the Guitar Center there has one in stock if you wanted to try it for yourself.

• Members

wuts the EP booster got to do with echoplexes and superdelays?

get yourself an SHO clone

The echoplex colors your sound in a particular way. In theory if you matched a digital tape delay with something like the EP Booster (which emulates that boost and tone coloration) you'd have something closer to the real deal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have it and I love it. Great boost pedal. Makes all my other dirt pedals just seem to sound better.

FWIW, if you want a totally clean boost with an insane amount of gain available, try the Cusack More Louder. Incredible. The mini-toggle switches between buffered and true bypass.

CusackMoreLouder_2.jpg

Also, I hear the TC Electronics just came out with a new clean boost as well, with tone options.

• Members

I bought the Xotic EP Booster and persevered with if for a week. I just didn't think it did much for my tone and I preferred my sound with it off. I replaced it with the GtrWrks 19 Sixty 3 and I love the way it gives me more BF when I kick it in.

• Members

I love mine especially with single coils... I suggest playing with the switches inside to adjust boost of treble, mids or bass. the other switch does something else I don't recall... But I would suggest you experiment with them before you write the pedal off.

• Members

I bought the Xotic EP Booster and persevered with if for a week. I just didn't think it did much for my tone and I preferred my sound with it off. I replaced it with the GtrWrks 19 Sixty 3 and I love the way it gives me more
BF
when I kick it in.

Butt{censored}? :idk:

• Members

It's basically a single FET gain stage. There are dozens of boosts that could get in the same territory and be more functional.

A little caveat, these are not the preamp of the units. They can be technically called a gain stage that is used in conjunction with the preamp but they are not the preamp. The role of this FET is to do two things. Get the input signal up to unity gain with the output and to act like a buffer to mix the two signals. Technically it's a mixing circuit. You will not be copping "Echoplex magic tone" with any of these. Same goes for that Space Echo "preamp" in a stomp. People expect to pair these up with a delay pedal and BOOM have something that sounds like the original units for way less money. IMHO you'd be better off playing your money on one of those "bottle up" games at the carnival.

I've always liked the sound of those Echoplexes, and I can get a pretty good tape sound out of my Superdelay, but I'm a little curious about the EP booster, 1) because I could use a boost pedal for solo's and 2) because I dig the EP sound.

Anyone have one and think it's worth the coin and space on your board?

Also, on topic thread is on topic.

Archived