OT: Videogames on a Plane / FF6 know it alls / Chrono Trigger convincers - c'mon in

hangwire

• Members

So I'm going to be spending some airport/flight time this weekend so I have a few different OT video game things to throw out there

1) any good NES or DS games I can download the roms for my r4 card? I have played a lot of NES stuff, most the usual suspects, but always like to hear recommendations I may have missed...

2) I have Final Fantasy 6 game boy advanced port. My cart is corrupted and I am stuck using my quicksave data. I stopped playing because I am really not into this game. I like the learniong spells through relics to all characters, but I don't like the 2 item specializing and all the characters.

I am at a part where I an at this brownish tower/mountain where there are spotlights and I have to split up my characters. I hate this because I want to just stick with my 4 good charcters who are all over level 60 or 70 and not mix in the other level 55 or so other guys. All charcters know Ultima and the best healing/status spells.

- how much farther is there to go from where I am? Is this the last area and final boss? If so, maybe I should just power through and beat it. Where can I get ethers in this part of the game, as I can just make it through if I dont need to have worry about my MP.

If not that part being then end, maybe I should just restart the game some other time so I pay better attention. I feel I missed a lot of stuff because the story never pulled me in and seemed like a chore in towns and trying to remember what towns are where and all that.

3) I know chrono trigger is a huge game for some. I can probably find a rom for this... is it going to be negative FF6 ^ stuff I hate, or will I be able to enjoy it like FF1, 3, 4, 5 and dragon warrior 1, 2, 3?

4) I actually have dragon warrior 4 for DS, and that game I stopped playing near the end and feel lost as well... but I think I was at the last boss where I have to use all the characters so maybe I should just level grind a bit and go for that last boss.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Super Mario RPG is hands-down one of the best games I've ever played. A Link to the Past is insanely fun as well.

If anyone has a copy of Mario RPG for the SNES I will trade something(s) in my sig for it
:lol:

c'mon man, neither of those are platforms i listed :facepalm:

• Members

c'mon man, neither of those are platforms i listed
:facepalm:

Whoops my bad, there I go imagining letters again. Can't you get a SNES emulator on the R4 card?

All the Mario games for the DS are pretty fun, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time is great for long hours spent traveling, lot's of good dialog and quirky jokes. The Phantom Hourglass is pretty fun too but it's the only Zelda game I've played for the DS.

• Members
Whoops my bad, there I go imagining letters again. Can't you get a SNES emulator on the R4 card?

All the Mario games for the DS are pretty fun, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time is great for long hours spent traveling, lot's of good dialog and quirky jokes. The Phantom Hourglass is pretty fun too but it's the only Zelda game I've played for the DS.

apology accepted :lol:

I have both zelda games and beated for the ds
the mario games for ds are all rom locked... maybe I'll acually put some money down on a game :lol:

I tried 2 snes emulators for the r4, but both glitched the games or layers of graphics would be missing... like in Mega Man X, background and mega man were good, also projectiles, but enemies would not be seen

• Members

does it have the goofy adding stuff to other stuff over and over again things that bore me in FF6?

Nah. It's pretty straight forward as far as levels, items, combat etc. Which is a good thing.

• Members

Here, I'll actually provide info to your thread, not verbal flotsam.

I don't know what characters you fancied. I always like Sabin for his speed and blitzes and Gogo because he is a jack-of-all-trades.

2. You are at the final place. Having Ultima is nice, but in a game where Genji Glove+The Offering makes you attack 8 times (with a high-leveled Sabin and two Tiger Fangs could result in 70,000+ damage) it's really key to have specified magic users. My older brother liked using Setzer and the aforementioned relics with Fixed Dice; for physical attackers it's really up to you. So, two attackers per group along with two magic users. Best case scenario is to go in Kefka's Tower and clear it out group by group. You will not be able to juice up one party without weakening the other two.

This last dungeon is more of a go in and attack, then leave and regroup to beef up the other groups.

Here's an example of my party:
1. Just Mog with Moogle Charm+Sprint Shoes = just exploring and getting treasures firstly
2. A mix of magic/physical attacks
3. This will be your strongest party because of some tough dudes you'll fight. Example: Sabin, Gogo, Cyan, then whomever

You'll have to understand that there is no speed rush through this place. Ask any questions you have, I can't think of a game (maybe Chrono or Fallout 2) that I've played more in my life.

NOTE: I'm using terminology from SNES version, your mileage and lexicon my vary.

3. Chrono Trigger is a very interesting game, unlike anything else at the time. It deals more with time travel and focuses on a fairly linear storyline, but there are spots where you can deviate. It has a very high replay value because of the "New Game +" feature where you can keep your equipment/levels/techs (spells) and play through it again. Also, you have the chance after awhile to skip to the final boss of the game to try and beat him. It'll make more sense when you play. I think you might enjoy it more because it feature less characters. :thu:

Techs, like I said before, are the magic. Each player has an elemental association and it doesn't split from there, meaning there are characters that just do ice spells and healing and so on. One awesome thing is that there are combo tech attacks.

E.g. Lucca has Fire tech, Marle has Ice tech. They will learn Antipode 1, a dual fire-and-ice attack, which uses both their turns but deals immense damage.

Tech are learned, like FF6, from point after battles.

This is just a snippet of info for both games. Ask anything and ye shall receive.

• Members

rad games for nes you may have missed:

RPG:

little ninja bros

ultima quest of the avatar

earthbound zero

other rad games you probably missed:

metal storm

ultimate stuntman

gimmick

new ghostbusters 2 (europe version)

• Members

as far as FF3 goes, get the gem box from the top of the magical tower, give it to someone with ultima, preferably celes or relm. take them, gogo, gau (with merit award equipped and wind slash rage) and setzer with offering/genji glove/fixed dice/doom darts and just wreck everyone in there.

if you lurk in the brachosaur forest and collect imp halberds, you can bet them at the fighting arena and eventually win a mirage vest. this automatically casts vanish on the wearer and physical attacks will be rendered worthless.

use mog + moogle charm individually to clear out all legs of kefka's tower before you actually attempt it.

something i've noticed about my playing is that i'm always afraid to use elixirs and megalixirs because "i might need them later." then by the end of the game i have like 30 elixirs. if you're that way too, just use the elixirs instead of ether.

when you get to the end and you have to partition your party again, just take the four bruisers mentioned above and don't die.

• Members

as far as FF3 goes, get the gem box from the top of the magical tower, give it to someone with ultima, preferably celes or relm. take them, gogo, gau (with merit award equipped and wind slash rage) and setzer with offering/genji glove/fixed dice/doom darts and just wreck everyone in there.

if you lurk in the brachosaur forest and collect imp halberds, you can bet them at the fighting arena and eventually win a mirage vest. this automatically casts vanish on the wearer and physical attacks will be rendered worthless.

use mog + moogle charm individually to clear out all legs of kefka's tower before you actually attempt it.

something i've noticed about my playing is that i'm always afraid to use elixirs and megalixirs because "i might need them later." then by the end of the game i have like 30 elixirs. if you're that way too, just use the elixirs instead of ether.

when you get to the end and you have to partition your party again, just take the four bruisers mentioned above and don't die.

I was trying to understood why this didn't sound like FF3 at all then I saw the work Kefka/understood you were talking about 6.

• Members

the wind slash is just an attack that gau can get from various monsters on the veldt

the battle arena, does it exist in the remake? its at the top right corner of the map

you bet certain items and there is a 1-on-1 fight between a selected member of your party and some monster. the fight is entirely computer controlled. therefore it is wise to send in a bruiser with runningshoes and some item that has permanent berserk status on it, then let them wreck shop. you get the merit award by betting a thornlet, which you get by betting a force shield. the merit award is a relic that lets any character equip almost any weapon/armor. this means gau can have a weapon and dole out massive damage. the wind slash counts as a physical attack that hits everyone, so with a strong weapon, gau can clear out battles in seconds.

there are a bunch of genji gloves in the game, like 4 of them or something lying around. the offering you get when you're traveling underground in figaro castle and you "hit something," then stop to investigate. you get the doom darts there, and the offering by beating some kind of samurai in a treasure chest. you also get the odin/raiden magicite.

EDIT: i remember the gau thing. you have to get the merit award, equip him with cyan's "tempest" sword, then use the "stray cat" rage. the tempest sword has a 50% chance of triggering a wind slash, and stray cat's "catscratch" attack doles out massive damage. with the wind slash, it hits all enemies. combine this with a "black belt" relic and gau is crazy powerful.

• Members
the wind slash is just an attack that gau can get from various monsters on the veldt

the battle arena, does it exist in the remake? its at the top right corner of the map

you bet certain items and there is a 1-on-1 fight between a selected member of your party and some monster. the fight is entirely computer controlled. therefore it is wise to send in a bruiser with runningshoes and some item that has permanent berserk status on it, then let them wreck shop. you get the merit award by betting a thornlet, which you get by betting a force shield. the merit award is a relic that lets any character equip almost any weapon/armor. this means gau can have a weapon and dole out massive damage. the wind slash counts as a physical attack that hits everyone, so with a strong weapon, gau can clear out battles in seconds.

there are a bunch of genji gloves in the game, like 4 of them or something lying around. the offering you get when you're traveling underground in figaro castle and you "hit something," then stop to investigate. you get the doom darts there, and the offering by beating some kind of samurai in a treasure chest. you also get the odin/raiden magicite.

EDIT: i remember the gau thing. you have to get the merit award, equip him with cyan's "tempest" sword, then use the "stray cat" rage. the tempest sword has a 50% chance of triggering a wind slash, and stray cat's "catscratch" attack doles out massive damage. with the wind slash, it hits all enemies. combine this with a "black belt" relic and gau is crazy powerful.

see I think this is why I can't get along with FF6, all this criptic stuff... I dont want to be flipping through menus screens trying this verses that between each battle slowing down the game even more to change and equip other stuff to try with relics and swords and attacks triggering other things... its like doing taxes and not a fun experience anymore to me :facepalm:

please tell me chrono trigger doesnt do that, and I'll give that a shot...

• Members

Cool! I gotta try this out! I always felt that there were characters that are stronger than others. Crap characters would be Strago, Relm, Gau (sorry), Locke (although I like stealing), and Edgar.

I think Gogo is one of the best just because you can change his commands, so he could have blitzes as well as throw things if you wanted. A fun glitch when the old cartridges were out was the sketch bug.

Hang out to you butts:

[video=youtube;dNsn-8N-RxA]

Archived