Support Independent Film

• Members

I know I don't post here a lot, I lurk more than anything. I have a huge favor to ask if you guys have a few minutes. I entered a local contest in Grand Rapids, MI for people starting businesses. If I get enough votes to make top 5, I get a chance to present and there is $5,000 up for grabs. I am going to start a video production company that offer good production values for an affordable price. You can log in to vote with your facebook account. If you could help a brother out, that would be wicked awesome. Thanks!

http://5x5night.com/mAbab

• Members

Done.

My rhythm guitarist has a passion for fimmaking and a coupany like this could really help some fledgling directors/writers.

I'm actually scoring his latest project, should be fun!

Thanks! The idea is to work with those who are on a limited budget to get them a quality product. Ultimately, I think I want to go the nonprofit route to get fundig to help subsidize productions for those who are on shoestring budgets. Any way about it, I will sell some gear I that's what it takes to get it off the ground.

• Members

Thanks! The idea is to work with those who are on a limited budget to get them a quality product. Ultimately, I think I want to go the nonprofit route to get fundig to help subsidize productions for those who are on shoestring budgets. Any way about it, I will sell some gear I that's what it takes to get it off the ground.

Good luck man. I got involved with a group in my town to do that same sort of thing a few years back. It started out with alot of promise and then turned into a madhouse of folks who just wanted to give themselves fancy titles and sit on a board of directors without doing anything, and folks who were more interested in figuring out how to raise funds (i.e. get them from the very people we were supposed to be helping) and not actually plan on fruitful ways to spend the funds, and then there were the people who just had horrific ideas for movies, did not want to listen to feedback, and just wanted to monopolize all the free resources in making amateur {censored} no one would ever want to watch...{censored}, it was a nightmare. I walked away.

Anyway, a couple tips I learned that can maybe help you - 1) going the non-profit route is great, but it's a hell of alot of work at first. And lawyers are going to be expensive, but you'll need them to get everything actually set up, 2) $5,000 is basically nothing in the world of video production, you're going to either have to set your sights on the very small scale at first, or get alot more investment

• Members

I plan start super small scale, as in an army of one, me. As far as equipment, I will be purchasing used/refurbished to get started. Really, I just want to get this off the ground before I consider nonprofit status. As far as projects, in the short term I want to work on anything that can be shot and finished in under a week. I would like to keep shooting to a day or two at the most. My target audiences will be local nonprofits (I am involved with the local Young Nonprofit Professionals Network), small business, and potentially doing real estate video tours (which seems like quick cash); to get my name out there and build some capital. Long term I'd like to be working on documentaries and shooting bands either live or music videos as well.

If nothing else, if I make the top five and get a chance to present, I get my idea out in front of a people who make be interested in helping or funding outside of 5x5, plus they started a a side pool of funding with Mercantile Bank, where the give everyone in the audience one chip worth $5 that can be put to the idea of their choice.

Besides the fact that I love working with video, I massively want to be my own boss. I have found I hate working for other people, and especially hate corporate rules/meetings/memos/plans and all that other silly nonsense that goes with working for a larger organization.

Archived