30 Year Old Boss CE-2 Chorus Pedal...$100 Should I Buy It?

Player99

• Members

Have you used or listened to a CE-2? You already have a nice chorus pedal, and don't really NEED 2 of them, but if you can A/B them you may like the CE-2 and decide to keep it. Or not.

I would buy it and try it for a while, and if you don't like it I'm sure someone else will buy it for what you paid. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

BTW, I LOVE my CE-2, which I've owned since they first hit the music store when I was in college :)

I absolutely love the sound of the CE-2. It's a classic. Worth $100? IMO, definitely. As long as it's working properly, you can probably flip it for that much, even if it has a few battle scars cosmetically.

The closest thing you have to it in terms of sound is the Analogman.

• Members

I bought one for that and sold it for nearly that-but it wasn't for me. I currently don't have a chorus but I might get a Neo Clone (small clone). I like it better, but the only way to tell is get it and try it. I don't know much about the Analogman you have or what it's based on-I like a very liquidy transparent type of chorus and the Boss was thicker-hard to get subtle out of it, so that's what I didn't like but I guess a lot of people do like it.

I got one for 60 completely mint. I thought it had a pretty nasty volume boost and (sorry guys) didn't really seem that lush or nice. Just seemed "ok".

There probably would have been plenty of people interested if you put it in the spam thread. We can still find them out here for $50 or so on occasion (after all, Boss DID make a ton of them), but that's getting harder to do. They go for north of $100 on Ebay all the time now. I paid under $50 for a long-dash, metal screw MIJ (made in '80) CE-2 from a local pawn shop a couple years ago... I think it was $35 - something like that. It's got a few dings here and there, but it's not bad for a 32 year old pedal.

2859d647.jpg

79e602bd.jpg

• Members

There probably would have been plenty of people interested if you put it in the spam thread. We can still find them out here for $50 or so on occasion (after all, Boss DID make a ton of them), but that's getting harder to do. They go for north of $100 on Ebay all the time now. I paid under $50 for a long-dash, metal screw MIJ (made in '80) CE-2 from a local pawn shop a couple years ago... I think it was $35 - something like that. It's got a few dings here and there, but it's not bad for a 32 year old pedal.

2859d647.jpg

79e602bd.jpg

Really nice looking one phil! I honestly take back what i said. I blame myself and not the chorus.

• Members

Have you used or listened to a CE-2? You already have a nice chorus pedal, and don't really NEED 2 of them, but if you can A/B them you may like the CE-2 and decide to keep it. Or not.

I would buy it and try it for a while, and if you don't like it I'm sure someone else will buy it for what you paid. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

BTW, I LOVE my CE-2, which I've owned since they first hit the music store when I was in college
:)

Problem I have is I never sell my pedals once I buy them. I stack them up like cord wood.

• Members

2859d647.jpg

79e602bd.jpg

That's awesome Phil. Mine is serial #9100 I bought it in 84 when my CE-1 packed it in. I like it but I like my DOD FX-65 just as much.

Yes... but I keep reading about how good the old Boss CE-2 are.

Some of it is probably nostalgia. and the fact that the CE-1 and CE-2 were the first chorus pedals a lot of us of a certain age ever heard, and it's kind of imprinted in our brains - the early Boss Chorus pedals are kind of what defined "chorus" for a lot of players... but they really can sound very good.

Would it sound cool or really seasick?

It would probably depend on how you had them all set and patched. :idk:

I think it is... any cash I have BAMB!
new
pedals!

Well technically the CE-2 is an old used pedal, so you're in the clear - no problem. ;)

• Members

Well technically the CE-2 is an old
used
pedal, so you're in the clear - no problem.
;)

I should clarify: I always buy used pedals. I stalk them on the internets, then I buy then.

Edit: Recently I bought a Timeline, Barber Burn Unit, Tone Pump and Trifecta new.

BTW, I LOVE my CE-2, which I've owned since they first hit the music store when I was in college
:)

Great second post - and welcome to HC. :wave:

Archived