Metal Muff. Need some guidance.

diocide

• Members

I've been looking to get another muff type fuzz for my small rig board. Right now, I run an OCD with the vol up, distortion down into my NYC big muff. I'm looking to get something similar for my second board and I got offered a Metal Muff with top boost.

How do the metal muffs compare to the NYC? Would I be able to run it alone and get a similar tightness of the OCD and NYCBM combo? In the long run, I want a Musket or SFT, but maybe this will tide me over. Basically I want a really tight muff type sound.

• Members

Fair enough. The pedal is {censored}ing huge anyway, so getting it onto my nano pedaltrain would suck anyway. So now one of you just sell me a musket or an SFT and I'll be good
:D

The SFT only gets fuzzy with the gain, and EQ controls maxed out. It's a great sounding pedal, but I wouldn't consider it to be a muff-like pedal.

Muskets are cool, and there are a million Muff variations out there.......Earthquaker, Wren and cuff, etc....

• Members

The Metal Muff is a really good pedal if you set it up correctly. I think some people have problems with pedals that have more than one tone/eq knob and that's why you'll see people saying "OMG worst peduhlll evarr" all the time.

I use it with these settings:

treble - 9:00

mids - 10:00

bass - 11:00

dist. - 11:00

It's not a big muff at all though. As others have said it's basically EHX's version of the metal zone with a fixed midrange frequency and a few different parts. But I think it sounds way better than the metal zone. And it is much better than the Boss ML-2 as well IMO.

The Sword are big users of the Metal Muff:

[video=youtube;B2SCIoq0VX4]

• Members

Awesome song/album, but aren't they boosting their amps with tubescreamers these days?

As for the op - I would probably be looking at a Musket if I were you. The pre knob is a boost built into the pedal, which is pretty much what you are looking for, right?

Archived