Ohms: School Me

• Members

So I just bought this...

1d0cfe81.jpg

Traynor YBA-1A Bass Master Mark ll

It an 8 ohm speaker output. The only speaker cabinet I own at the moment is my Hiwatt 4x12 which is 16 ohms... Can I use these two together? I am planning on getting a dedicated 15" cab for the Traynor but in the meantime...

• Members

Yes. It should be matched but as long as the cab has a higher number than the amp you'll be fine.

It depends on the amp. This is pretty true of Fenders in most cases, but not really for Marshalls and I believe Voxes.

I'm not sure about the Traynor myself, but you could probably install a switch on your 4x12 that turns off two speakers to make it an 8 ohm 2x12. depends how it's wired inside, I suppose and what the ohmage of the individual speakers are.

• Members

those old traynors are tough as nails, I can't see an 8-16 mismatch really hurting it. though you do risk blowing any tubes in it, so I wouldn't run expensive vintage tubeys in it.

Though I do agree when people say "safe impedance mismatch" I'm all like nonono such thang chicken wang.

• Members

Its a little bit confusing with tube amps and lots of factors determine whether it is safe or not. If you were for example to plug a 16R cab into an 8R output then you would effectively double the OT primary impedance which changes how the tubes are loaded quire significantly. Certainly if you do this with a JMP it will last minutes before the OT dies. Most mesas will be fine though.

Not always going to work. I always say play it safe and match impedance unless you know its safe.

Funny you should mention it. I accidentally did that with my jmp. I'm usually very careful with all my gear and am a real stickler for matching impedances and everything. But i ran my jmp for a bit as a fullstack into two 16 ohm cabs, with the head set for 8 to have a match. When i switched back to running it with one cab, i stupidly forgot to switch the impedance selector back to 16. We had a couple of practices, totalling a few hours of playing before i noticed. I count myself as very lucky but the amp is fine. So are the tubes. It's been quite a while to and i've had no issues.

Not reccomending it or anything. I wouldn't try it with the traynor, but i'm just sayin', it happened.

That's a {censored}ing rad amp, by the way. Congrats.

• Members

oh and FWIW, IMO some toob amps will run fine on a mismatch but its been my experience that they always seem to sound best at the proper matching impedance.

My boogie mkII manual recommends for you to experiment with mismatches in either direction but that amp has transformers the size of small buses

• Members

Yeah some transformers are also better at taking abuse than others. For example, I accidentally ran my hiwatt/marshall hybrid thing for like....oh a good half hour with nothing plugged in at all by accident because i thought I had switched it to standby and really hadn't. It's got partridge transformers in it. Thing didn't bat an eye. Plugged it back in and it was the same as before (thought it had generated a fair bit of heat). I was worried though, so I sent it to my tech who also built the amp. No damage whatsoever. Hammond transformers are often the same way. Luckily that's what I have in my other two amps from the same builder.

• Members

Congrats on that sweet amp, I love mine to pieces. Anyway, the trannies on that thing, like Robos Mesa, are {censored}ing stacked and the tech I talked to said for that particular amp it didn't really matter if it went into 4,8, or 16 ohms. I've been cranking mine through my old Orange cab which is 16 ohms and have had narry a problem in sight. You gonna be playing it for bass or guitar? You mentioned grabbing a 1x15 for it so I assume bass but you should seriously do yourself a favor and crank your guits through it, it's got a sweet hiwattish sound that hangs in right there with my old ampegs.

• Members

oh and FWIW, IMO some toob amps will run fine on a mismatch but its been my experience that they always seem to sound best at the proper matching impedance.

My boogie mkII manual recommends for you to experiment with mismatches in either direction but that amp has transformers the size of small buses

The YBA-1A tranny are massive as well. My buddy Ryan has this very amp and he seems to think running it into my Hiwatt can will be fine.

• Members

They are very durable amps. I've heard stories that they used to chuck them off the roof of the factory (on to the concrete parking lot), replace the tubes, and the amps would run no problem. Having said that, they are road warriors, and I think you'll be okay running it into a 16 ohm cab.

• Members

price {censored}

More then I would have liked but the jig is up on these beauties and prices are rising. I paid 7 hundy... Which is about normal in NYC for these heads in good condition and all original. They are well known as "mod ready" and often {censored}ed with which turns me off.

Archived