Finally dialed in some dotted 8th delay

Max Factor

• Members

After owning a DL4 for years I figured it was about time to learn how to reliably pull up a dotted 8th delay on it. (There's no quick setting for this on the DL4, unlike many other pedals. Big oversight, imo.)

So I'm watching YouTube videos and I can't believe how many people got it wrong!

There's all these kids picking at some U2-y arpeggio without a click or any real sense of time. Sure, they got the delay all cranked up, and it sounds pretty and all, but if you're going to demo a technique, think it through!

• Members

Use the rhythmic mode, set it to 8th note and tap on beat 1 and beat 4 of the bar. Alternatively just learn to tap dotted 8ths in manually, it's not that hard when you learn.

Ended up sticking with your first method. Right now, I don't trust myself to do it manually when playing live... but that's what practice is for!

• Members

There's all these kids picking at some U2-y arpeggio without a click or any real sense of time. Sure, they got the delay all cranked up, and it sounds pretty and all, but if you're going to demo a technique, think it through!

I love our drummer to death, and he is very talented, but one thing he does do is he sometimes tends to speed up just a little when he gets excited or the song starts really rolling. I'm not confident enough to try re-tapping in in the middle of a song unless the delay (I use a DD-5 and DD-20) have a dedicated dotted eighth function, so I can just tap in quarter notes. Otherwise, no way my brain can handle trying to actually tap in dotted eighth repeats in the middle of a song.

Timing precision is definitely a must when you're doing the dotted eighth U2 thing. I have heard people try to do the dotted eighth thing live where their delay time was not set EXACTLY to the song tempo, and it just sounds like a cacophony of battling tempos and notes.

• Members

After owning a DL4 for years I figured it was about time to learn how to reliably pull up a dotted 8th delay on it. (There's no quick setting for this on the DL4, unlike many other pedals. Big oversight, imo.)

So I'm watching YouTube videos and I can't believe how many people got it wrong!

same with the dd-7, such a pain in the ass to get it to change subdivisions or ping pong.

thats why im really looking forward to the alter ego in the mail because it has an easy switch for subdivisions and a ping pong mode, easy peasy

• Members

Dotted 8ths are fun to mess around with, but IMO sounds kinda dated when doing that U2 thing. Now, running a dotted 8th delay with the mix a bit lower into a quarter note delay with the mix set high sounds brilliant...

I run a quarter into a dotted eighth myself, but I'm right there with ya.

Archived