OT. Would you call this dog abuse?

triviani

• Members

So, a family member over here got herself a little dog, and some weeks ago found a training DVD online.. She was shocked when saw how the "trainer" was treating dogs, you will see it. The guy is known for his training systems and and occasional TV guest, so even when the DVD is really low quality, he's not a nobody with a camera.

So this week we called the police, and they got the DVD to watch it to know what to do. I decided to youtube it, and the first comment I got says that this is a "normal" behavior when training dogs professionally, and that I should not be alarmed.. :confused: Is that so? Surely it is not over the top violence, but I would say it's totally unacceptable how he seems to enjoy his power position with the dogs.

Did I the thing right calling the police or will they just laugh at it? (considering that there is not such a thing as "animal rights" in Japan)

[video=youtube;lqBxwBz6Nyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqBxwBz6Nyw

• Members

IMO, this guy is a bit over the top in his methods.

But I have never trained dogs.

But I have trained horses.

One thing that bothered me was the first dog, him appearing to encourage the dog to stand up with his front paw on the handlers chest, then kneeing the dog.

Encouraging behavior, then punishing that behavior IMO is wrong.

• Members

One thing that bothered me was the first dog, him appearing to encourage the dog to stand up with his front paw on the handlers chest, then kneeing the dog.

Encouraging behavior, then punishing that behavior IMO is wrong.

yeah, I didn't exactly enjoy watching any of it but... "The guy is known for his training systems and and occasional TV guest" so you'd presume he knows what he's doing and many others are aware of what he does ..... so I think calling the police about him seems a bit odd to me. Honestly I'd rather this than dogs chewing off kids faces because they are totally out of the owners control.

• Members

yeah id say it's borderline. Yanking the neck like that can definitely cause damage, and there's less abusive ways to train dogs. afaik dogs are easy to train, classical conditioning and all that. Dogs like to please; no need to rip thier heads off.

• Members

yeah, I didn't exactly enjoy watching any of it but... "The guy is known for his training systems and and occasional TV guest" so you'd presume he knows what he's doing and many others are aware of what he does ..... so I think calling the police about him seems a bit odd to me. Honestly I'd rather this than dogs chewing off kids faces because they are totally out of the owners control.

That's why I0m asking. Never trained a dog, but I would think there are ways to educate them without the kicking and so. There should be a difference between pulling from the strap to show who's in charge and pulling from it violently.

He can be popular but Japan is full of weirdos that get to do their stuff without any consequences.

• Members

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I was sort of involved in helping my friend train his bulldogs (which are the least intelligent dog breed, I think), and we never had to do anything like that. Positive reinforcement works just as well as negative.

• Members

ive had 2 bulldogs. stubborn and dumb is not a good combo. great dogs though.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I was sort of involved in helping my friend train his bulldogs (which are the least intelligent dog breed, I think), and we never had to do anything like that. Positive reinforcement works just as well as negative.

• Members

Yeah, I like them. I don't know that I would like to live with one, but I don't mind hanging out with one for a while (disclaimer: I like cats).

they are easy to care for, and have a great disposition (always happy), but have a lot of health problems. My first one died around 10 and the second one will have to be put down in the next few weeks unfortunatley. Shes 12, and has cancer. something like 5% live past 12.

• Members

{censored} no, that isn't proper training. Dogs don't have muscles on their under side. So that is kneeing organs and bone. That is improper training and if I saw a dude do that I'd be body slamming him into the cement. You push the dog away and if it continues you do the neck grab. Light touch and the dog naturally knows it's in the wrong. You did the right thing.

• Members

And it's this kidn of thinking that makes me hate humans. Because he makes money doing this doesn't mean it's ok.

• Members

I have a pitbull. I never needed to use my knee nor jerk on their neck like that. There is more than enough proof to show how you can train a dog without that and make it far more effective. He isn't treating the dog like a dog. He is treating it like some bastard child.

• Members

:facepalm:

Arthur, I'm sure you weigh more than 100lbs....how about I give you a nice swift knee in the gut and see how you feel afterwards.

Listen, I don't think that guy is hurting the Retriever in the beginning. He's definitely wrong to encourage the jumping and then do the knee {censored} but I don't believe he's using much force. He's a tiny asian man, the dog is as tall as he is.

I'm not a dog trainer though, doubt you are either, I'll leave it to the american professionals. Japanese people are {censored}ing whack.

• Members

I have a pitbull. I never needed to use my knee nor jerk on their neck like that. There is more than enough proof to show how you can train a dog without that and make it far more effective. He isn't treating the dog like a dog. He is treating it like some bastard child.

Is your pitbull a calm dog by nature or is it one of those over excitable types that doesn't ever calm down, ever?

• Members

Listen, I don't think that guy is hurting the Retriever in the beginning. He's definitely wrong to encourage the jumping and then do the knee {censored} but I don't believe he's using much force. He's a tiny asian man, the dog is as tall as he is.

I'm not a dog trainer though, doubt you are either, I'll leave it to the american professionals. Japanese people are {censored}ing whack.

You're really sounding kinda ignorant dude. I've grown up with dogs all my life, so while I'm not a professional dog trainer, I've trained plenty of dogs.

And it doesn't matter if your dog is a slug or crazy hyperactive, there's no need for physical abuse (hitting, kicking, etc) to properly train a dog to be obedient, calm and well behaved.

• Members

Is your pitbull a calm dog by nature or is it one of those over excitable types that doesn't ever calm down, ever?

She is a pit dude. Super high energy, but she doesn't knock you over. Just licks the {censored} out of you. She was easy as {censored} to train because I took the time to learn proper training techniques. She was {censored}ting outside the first week I got her. That is good for a pup that is only 6 weeks old haha.

• Members

And it doesn't matter if your dog is a slug or crazy hyperactive, there's no need for physical abuse (hitting, kicking, etc) to properly train a dog to be obedient, calm and well behaved.

This is my experience also. I've never ever (and will never) hit a dog but I don't tell people how to train their dog either. I've seen plenty of really well behaved and friendly animals that come from an owner who'll give the occasional smack on the hind quarters.

Archived