This is why I need a semi-hollow...

thom

• Members

[video=youtube;iQXbf1i24C8]

I'm not even that crazy about the song or the band, I just love how the lead guitarist seems to nail that '60s swamp/blues tone, or whatever you call it. The first Black Keys albums had a similar thing goin, and I guess so do the zillions of other 50s/60s revival bands that formed after bands like the white stripes paved the way...

My tele and Pro jr seem to work great too, but nothing can really replace a decent es-335 type geetar.

Looks like in that clip the guy's playing an epiphone sheraton of some sorts, right?

As far as amps go: Anything in particular that stands out, anything to look for in terms of specs...Or would any vintage(style) combo -like my pro jr- do the trick?

Last question: A brand new Epi dot would set me back just 300Euriodollars...How can I say no to that?? :confused:

• Members

Try first getting the guitar, your current amp might work just fine for you. A Dot is a good choice, especially if your budget is tight. Shop around and try to find an older Korean Dot. The fit and finish tends to be better and the sound is a bit brighter. I love my Dot... it's quickly become my #2 guitar... may even make it to #1.

Cheers!

• Members

How can I say no to that??
:confused:

Cheap pickups, switches, wiring and tuners. The finish can be very thick and kills the natural sound. If you can find a nice one with a thin coat of finish, swap out the pickups for a genuine set of Gibson pickups and you may have something.

• Members
... but would pass on any other epi/Gibson semi hollow for a different company.

I respectfully differ with the Andrew of Wisconsin

That epi is trying to mimic the real SwampCaster of the 60's....and that's the Harmony H75 (or H76/7/8)
The DeArmonds in that one guitar are noticibly hotter than the normal goldfoils, and they contain the ragged edge harmonics that a minihum can only attain with a sputtery overdrive. While the Rocket and the Meteors are for garagerock, the H75 series is exactly what you hear there.

I've got one in it's original condition. In the other I put a Filtertron in the Mid and a Ric single in the bridge.
If I grab the mutt, I almost always find myself playing the ooriginal Dearmond in the neck...it has more output than the others, and has that exact rich/ragged sound you're after. ....and if you want some REAL fun, pump it thru a treble boost.

a9edf87f.jpg

• Members

If you thought THAT was gass-inducing:

harmony6_35.jpg

Oh my yes..... I have seen that photo from another thread you posted in and refused to comment on it because it was just too damn awesome. I'd take top left and bottom left any day of the week. What amp(s) are you using with them?

• Members

Cheap pickups, switches, wiring and tuners. The finish can be very thick and kills the natural sound. If you can find a nice one with a thin coat of finish, swap out the pickups for a genuine set of Gibson pickups and you may have something.

Go Korean if you want a thinner finish. The Peerless-made Dots have the thinnest finish of any Dots I've owned.

• Members

I played one of the newer dots and I was pretty damn impressed, and I own a Harmony H75. It had grovers though which makes me think it was the deluxe version. Still under a grand for a damn nice hollow body is pretty cool though.

As for the sound, I agree your amp should be fine. Just sounds like a nice mix of decent pickups, slight tube breakup and reverb.

Awesome band too, downloading now. Thanks!

• Members

I'm not surprised that the stock dot pickups might not be the best, and that the finish is a little too tick, etc...But seriously..300Euro??

I saw/heard more than one side by side test on youtube that impo proves that the gigantic price difference might not be worth it, al least not for most amateurs like myself.

But yeah, there's a lot of other nice semi-hollows out there in the price range, though I'm not having much luck finding any of the ones that were suggested so far:s

I guess I'm focusing on the dot, because there might be more of em around, meaning I could score a used one for cheaps:)

Archived