jorhay1

• Members

This:

photo.jpeg

or This:

1600-Minitaur_detail2.jpg

I have my reasons for liking both.

Interested in hearing yours.

The price is so close, it doesn't matter.

I know this is not the Synth Forum,

no one in the world can match the creative prowess of the HCFX crew.

• Members

while i'd love a minitaur (and they are pretty cheap, considering), i went with the slim phatty.

it has enough bass to almost always make me EQ a lot of it out anyway, and can do a lot more.

i know there are differences that make the minitaur more suited for bass (the filter section/etc),

but for me, it wasn't worth spending that kind of money and being limited (in comparison to the slim phatty).

it's for recording though, which is why i like having all that comes with the slim phatty.

if you just need live bass sounds or if you already have other synths and just want a bass synth, the minitaur looks amazing.

• Members

Depends on what you want it to do really.

Slim Phatty:

has presets (minitaur doesn't)

you have to press a button to access the pot function

has maaaany many sounds

has Taurus type presets built in, they get close, not exact

can be chained via Midi thru to make a polyphonic synth

MIDI In/Out/Thru

Minitaur:

BASS :love: (truly amazing bass)

knob for each function (very hands on)

no presets

MIDI In

just depends on what you want them for. If you have a lot of synths anyway & are JUST looking for deep fat bass, then Minitaur all the way. But if you want a serious workhorse, Phatty is it.

they both take MIDI In, Aim, that's how you control them.

• Members

Yup; Slim Phatty and regular Lil Phatty has MIDI capabilities and is a beast of a machine.

I'd personally go the Lil Phatty only because I had prior experience with it as the learning curve wasn't a fun one. I had it for about 18 months before I moved it on simply because I'd started to use MIDI only. I had/still have an Alesis Micron to which I knew inside out and even though the Lil Phatty was evidently easier to tweak I found it difficult to settle on the one setting and therefor was pretty useless as anything but a noise machine (for me at least).

• Members

They're two different things to my way of thinking - it would really depend on what exactly you wanted to do with it.

My problem in a nutshell.

I never know what i want to do, and when I do something good, I can't remember it.

Actually, everybody's post's are really helpful. Thanks.

• Members

They're two different things to my way of thinking - it would really depend on what exactly you wanted to do with it.

Definitely. There is a really good youtube that compares the basic waveforms of both, including oscilloscope comparison. I'm at work right now so I can't look it up. From what I gathered the oscillators on the Minitaur are brighter and tighter, so that they can respond better in lower frequencies. Also the filter has a wider sweep/more range. My preference would be the Little Phatty, sonically and due to the presets. My interface preference is always for the knobbier synth though :)

• Members

This is exactly why I went with a Voyager over a Lil' Phatty. I'd make the same decision between Slim Phatty and Minitaur.

Not a choice that everyone can make though my friend ;)

I've held off on buying a Phatty myself though for the same reasons. I'm holding out and saving up for the real deal.

• Members

Definitely. There is a really good youtube that compares the basic waveforms of both, including oscilloscope comparison. I'm at work right now so I can't look it up. From what I gathered the oscillators on the Minitaur are brighter and tighter, so that they can respond better in lower frequencies. Also the filter has a wider sweep/more range. My preference would be the Little Phatty, sonically and due to the presets. My interface preference is always for the knobbier synth though
:)

Saw (no pun intended) that video.

As much as I like the interface of teh Phatty, it sucks that the sawtooth is basically a square.

At least on the Minitaur, a saw is a saw.

It's a give and take.

Phatty's filter is better than the Minitaurs's,

Mintaur's OSC's are better than the Phatty's.

Phatty has a Midi 'out'.

That's huge.

• Members

Saw (no pun intended) that video.

As much as I like the interface of teh Phatty, it sucks that the sawtooth is basically a square.

At least on the Minitaur, a saw is a saw.

It's a give and take.

Phatty's filter is better than the Minitaurs's,

Mintaur's OSC's are better than the Phatty's.

Phatty has a Midi 'out'.

That's huge.

Seems like a fair assessment. From there you just need to weigh those pro's and con's versus your intended application.

My vote would go to the Minibrute (my current synth boner) ;)

• Members

Seems like a fair assessment. From there you just need to weigh those pro's and con's versus your intended application.

My vote would go to the Minibrute (my current synth boner)
;)

Great Synth the MiniBrute.

It's a great modern voice.

Since I have a Virus, Supernova, And Waldorf Q, I kinda have the new school thing covered for now.

I feel the the MiniBrute is destined to be a classic.

I sold my old school synths so every once in a while I miss that old flavor.

Probably just so I can say, 'I remember that sound'

Archived