Jazzmaster Pickup recommendations

IRG

• Members

Anyone have a handy list of JM pickups? I'm looking to possibly replace the standard ones that came in my Squier Mascis JM. They aren't bad stock, but the sustain isn't there, and the neck pickup seems a little hotter than it should.

Not looking to spend over $150 for a pair, given the price of the guitar.

Looking at the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups, seem pretty authentic. Not looking for high output pickups, lower would be better.

What else should I look at? Novak's get mentioned, not sure what else is out there.

Also need a new volume pot, stock one sucks.

• Members

That's a great link, thanks.

No problem! BTW I put the j mascis squier pickups in my 94 MIJ and I love them, I think alot of the problems with the j mascis squier is in the electronics like the volume and tone pots, I'm using the stock 250k pots in the MIJ and I believe the squier came with 1meg pots. I usually prefer 1meg pots in my guitars but the 250k's seemed to tame some of the harshness of the p90 inspired squier pickups. It might be worthwhile to try changing the volume and tone pots before you swap pickups.

• Members

No problem! BTW I put the j mascis squier pickups in my 94 MIJ and I love them, I think alot of the problems with the j mascis squier is in the electronics like the volume and tone pots, I'm using the stock 250k pots in the MIJ and I believe the squier came with 1meg pots. I usually prefer 1meg pots in my guitars but the 250k's seemed to tame some of the harshness of the p90 inspired squier pickups. It might be worthwhile to try changing the volume and tone pots before you swap pickups.

I think I might do that first. The tone pot seems fine, my complaint is the volume pot, when using fuzz which sounds great, or overdrive, if I roll back the volume control even a little bit, it sucks all the life out of the tone. You're left with some muffled midrange and nothing else. So maybe a good 250k volume pot/tone control would be a good investment first, and see if that helps. Certainly cheaper!

• Members

I think I might do that first. The tone pot seems fine, my complaint is the volume pot, when using fuzz which sounds great, or overdrive, if I roll back the volume control even a little bit, it sucks all the life out of the tone. You're left with some muffled midrange and nothing else. So maybe a good 250k volume pot/tone control would be a good investment first, and see if that helps.
Certainly cheaper!

My thought's exactly. You can easily replicate the volume / tone pot assembly for 10 to 15$ (if you go cts, cheaper if you go alpha) and then swap it out to check it, it's easy since it's 2 wires in and 2 wires out. Then if you don't like it it's 5 minutes to put the original pot's back in. The main complaint I've heard about those guitar's is the harshness in the bridge and mudiness in the neck, I've found neither with my MIJ (other then they are a bit high output, but I like that little bit of grit) that's why I'm thinking an electronics swap would be a good idea before dropping over 100$ on pickups.

• Members

Be aware that sustain isn't something you get with a Jazzmaster, regardless- it's probably not the pickups.

Yeah I've heard this before with Jazzmasters, although I think the newer models with the different bridge placement supposedly give you longer sustain now.

• Members

Click Here

Anything and everything about jazzmaster p/u replacements, with sound files.

Beat me to it. This led me to purchasing novak JM-Vs. They're worth it to me :idk:. If you wan more sustain with a JM you should be getting a buzzstop, but it'll change the sound noticeably.

• Members

Be aware that sustain isn't something you get with a Jazzmaster, regardless- it's probably not the pickups.

I disagree, it really depends on your string and bridge choice. My cp has sustain for days (.11-.54s in E standard with a TOM bridge) and my MIJ has only slightly less but is more open sounding (.11-.54s in E standard with a mustang bridge, and the squier pickups in question). Jazzmasters need alot of string tension to get sustain, if you play with .9's or .10's you wont get much sustain but it will play like butter, .11's and up will provide good sustain but also be a workout for your left hand.

• Members

I disagree, it really depends on your string and bridge choice. My cp has sustain for days (.11-.54s in E standard with a TOM bridge) and my MIJ has only slightly less but is more open sounding (.11-.54s in E standard with a mustang bridge, and the squier pickups in question). Jazzmasters need alot of string tension to get sustain, if you play with .9's or .10's you wont get much sustain but it will play like butter, .11's and up will provide good sustain but also be a workout for your left hand.

Yep. .11s and up are prime in my opinion.

• Members

I'll have to try 11's then. I'm pretty sure the stock strings are .10s. I have .10s on most of my guitars, .9s on my SG which need to be moved up to at least .10s as well. And .12s on my acoustic, but it needs to go back to .13s, you just loose too much of the low end with thinner strings, but I did it so my daughter could play it a bit easier, but that "hobby" didn't last too long.

• Members

I disagree, it really depends on your string and bridge choice.

Those do make a difference, but ya gotta admit that in general, JMs are plinky compared to a Les Paul. I strung my AVRI and MIJ with 11s and while they weren't totally dead, they didn't sing, either. Which is part of their charm, actually.

• Members

Those do make a difference, but ya gotta admit that
in general
, JMs are plinky compared to a Les Paul. I strung my AVRI and MIJ with 11s and while they weren't totally dead, they didn't sing, either. Which is part of their charm, actually.

I'd have to do a side by side comparison in E standard tuning to really be able to admit that, but i'm not ruling it out. My gibby's are strung with the same strings but are in a drastically different tuning (Drop B = BF#BEG#C#) with a shorter scale so the tension and sustain on them is actually less then what i'm able to get out of my jazzmasters. I do agree they arent the king's of sustain, and definitely sound more plinky then my gibby's, but like you said it's that charm that drew my to them, along with a few other factors such as comfort, playability, and their wicked snazzy aesthetics. :lol: I think what also might contribute to my feeling that they have alot of sustain is that both of mine have p90 inspired pickups, which i've found to pickup sustain alot better then the low output jazzmaster pickups alot of people like, at the same time you do sacrifice some clarity and sweetness with the p90's, but to me the cut and sustain is more important as the band i play in has 3 guitar players plus regular and bass synths. The subtleties that alot of people like in low output jm pickups get lost in a mix like that.

• Members

Anyone have a handy list of JM pickups? I'm looking to possibly replace the standard ones that came in my Squier Mascis JM. They aren't bad stock, but the sustain isn't there, and the neck pickup seems a little hotter than it should.

Looking at the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups, seem pretty authentic.
Not looking for high output pickups, lower would be better.

What else should I look at? Novak's get mentioned, not sure what else is out there.

Quarter Pounds are some of the hottest pickups SD makes!

You can't go wrong with SD Antiquities or Fender AVRI pickups.

• Members

You can't go wrong with SD Antiquities or Fender AVRI pickups.

A lot of guys at the Offset forum will tell you you should punt AVRI pickups, but I didn't have problems with mine. The pickups in my MIJ were awful though, and I replaced them with some from "The Pickup Whiz" which were great, and not overly expensive. The Offset guys rave about them. Never tried the Antiquities, though.

http://www.pickupwizard.com/index.php?pr=Home_Page

• Members

Awesome thread, that site with the audio files kills! I've been thinking about swapping out the pickups in my JM Macsis squire for some AVRI pickups. After listening to the SD antiquity 2's I want a pair... Anyone every play on them?

• Members

Awesome thread, I've been thinking about swapping out the pickups in my JM Macsis squire for some AVRI pickups if I could find some that don't cost close to what the guitar costs

What is it you don't you like about the Mascis pickups? They're built the same as the Classic Player pickups which aren't "true" Jazzmaster pickups, but a lot of the popular aftermarket pickups aren't, either.

• Members

Looking at the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups, seem pretty authentic. Not looking for high output pickups, lower would be better.

My volume pot is fine, you could have one of those bad picks of the litter squire is notorious for.

Archived