Slow Gear

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

seriously, no one can find chips? WTF? BYOC makes them :idk:

i actually have the BYOC one, and i dig it, just wish the effect were a bit more pronounced. im refinishing it, maybe adjusting the trimpot would help, but i think i have it set to its most effective position and its still rather subtle.

• Members

Why hasnt it been reissued?

It was discontinued originally because they didn't sell very well.

The usual price for a used SG-1 is high as that reflects its rarity and collectible status.

If Boss reissue it, the chances are that it would fail again (commercially).

There are other options - Behringer, Guyatone (SV2 and SVm5), BYOC etc. - but I suspect they don't sell very well either (other than people buying the Behringer clone because it is cheap, just to see what an SG-1 may be like).

• Members

It was discontinued originally because they didn't sell very well.

The usual price for a used SG-1 is high as that reflects its rarity and collectible status.

If Boss reissue it, the chances are that it would fail again (commercially).

There are other options - Behringer, Guyatone (SV2 and SVm5), BYOC etc. - but I suspect they don't sell very well either (other than people buying the Behringer clone because it is cheap, just to see what an SG-1 may be like).

I use the now discontinued Pigtronix Attack Sustain, which does a decent job. They can be found used for affordable prices.

• Members

I use the now discontinued Pigtronix Attack Sustain, which does a decent job. They can be found used for affordable prices.

I miss the pigtronix Attack sustain. I found it very intuitive to use and the slow gear effect was great.

I now have the Malekko AD and (like any of these slow gear pedals) once you get the setting right for the type of playing you're doing, they work great. I can't get super long swells like I could with the Pigtronix but it still does the job pretty well. I imagine the Malekko is more akin to the Boss SG-1 or the BYOC (but in a smaller enclosure).

• Members

yeah the obvious answer is that it didn't sell well and there are already tons of slow gear-like pedals on the market right now. that said, i like the idea of envelope volume effects. I wish Boss would try to do a new version and do more with the concept, but that said, it probably doesn't have a big enough market to be worth their trouble.

I have an old Zoom 606 that I got dirt cheap that has a slow gear effect on it and it's probably the best/most effective version of the effect I've used, because the swell works off what you play into it, but you can also tweak it with the attached expression pedal while you play. I find this makes the effect alot smoother and less glitchy.

• Members

Forgot to mention that of course, I still use the slow gear effect on the boss gt-3. So in a sense (and assuming it is similar to the original which I have never played), the slow gear has been reissued. Gt-3's are dirt cheap and you get a ton of other great effects. My personal favorites being all the guitar synth patches.

• Members

For a long time I have wondered why Boss doesn't reissue stuff. Even if it didn't sound exactly the same due to parts I would think there is a market for the Spectrum, Slow Gear, Dimension C, DM-2/3, CE-1, etc....

It is cool they kind of reissued the Feedbacker.

Anyway, I have a Slow Gear. When I was young I bought it for $20 in the bargain bin of a local store (Luca Music in RI if anyone remembers that place). At the time I was on a DOD budget and just wanted a Boss pedal.

314985_2295309911125_1500407054_32573583

• Members

For a long time I have wondered why Boss doesn't reissue stuff. Even if it didn't sound exactly the same due to parts I would think there is a market for the Spectrum, Slow Gear, Dimension C, DM-2/3, CE-1, etc....

It is cool they kind of reissued the Feedbacker.

Anyway, I have a Slow Gear. When I was young I bought it for $20 in the bargain bin of a local store (Luca Music in RI if anyone remembers that place). At the time I was on a DOD budget and just wanted a Boss pedal.

314985_2295309911125_1500407054_32573583

Your rack/board thing is making me ghey.

btw to the OP:

GUYMIC-SV2-2T.jpg

wat?

• Members

Im entirely sure there's no market for a spectrum reissue as it sounded terrible. SG is situational at best, they're more a small-market kind of thing and boss deals in high-volume sales to people who mostly don't frequent HCFX/ILF/TGP/GG/Etc. DM2/3 market is more or less flooded and Boss has moved on to digital delay for the most part. CE1/DC-2, Boss makes several choruses they don't care about the collect-ability of less feature-rich past models. It just isn't what they do, as a company.

• Members

Your rack/board thing is making me ghey.

btw to the OP:

GUYMIC-SV2-2T.jpg

wat?

LOL! Thanks man, but nothing in there was over $250.00.

If you want the Slow Gear it's just the Noise Gate of that era in reverse. IIRC it cost so much to make the Noise Gate they tried to get another effect out of it.

I've owned at least three SG-1's over the years, and not one of those was after they became "collectable" - IOW, I was one of the very few people who purchased them when they were new. I used to use them for "violining" and faux pedal steel stuff, and occasionally for tape-reverse effects. I use an Attack Sustain for the same purposes now.

I agree with those who said Boss never reissued it due to the fact that they just won't sell in sufficient numbers to make it worth their while. There are plenty of alternatives available if you want that kind of effect, and if you want a "real" SG-1, you'll just have to look around and pay the going rate for a vintage one.

• Members

I've owned at least three SG-1's over the years, and not one of those was after they became "collectable" - IOW, I was one of the very few people who purchased them when they were new. I used to use them for "violining" and faux pedal steel stuff, and occasionally for tape-reverse effects. I use an Attack Sustain for the same purposes now.

I agree with those who said Boss never reissued it due to the fact that they just won't sell in sufficient numbers to make it worth their while. There are plenty of alternatives available if you want that kind of effect, and if you want a "real" SG-1, you'll just have to look around and pay the going rate for a vintage one.

Or buy a clone or kit...

Archived