Sound differences between a 1x12 and 2x12 cabinet

Jan Deal

• Members

I am mulling over what kind of cabinet I should get for my Sound City 50 Plus head. Initially, I thought that a 2x12 would be the way to go, but on a cost/space issue, a 1x12 might be better. How much of a sound difference would there be between the two? I know a 1x12 will be plenty loud for gigging, but would the sound be too "boxy" or lack low end?

• Members

A smaller cab will give a less bassy sound that has a higher resonant frequency, which can sound "boxy" or "small". And the single speaker will start to compress quicker and have a slightly less directional sound which means that it'll be a bit more even filling a room but won't "Project" sound towards the audience.

Whether or not it sounds better or worse to you is something only you can decide I'm afraid ;)

• Members

Certainly open backed cabs help fill the room a bit more (I took the back off my old vox cab, sounds much better) and the don't roll the low end off as much as a sealed cab does. This comes at the cost of a tight low end though. If you can handle the extra size/weight then I would always take a 212 if you're playing with other people. If its just home use then a 112 will do fine. Any particular cabs you've been looking at?

• Members

at what cabs are you looking for...

there is a framus 2x12 open or half open back with celestions v30 in it for around 400euro...

myself i play a sovtek midget50h into a fender bandmaster 2x12 with celestion g12p-80s in it for 300euro. its closed back and the width is a bit bigger than normal 2x12...

but to me it does sound better than my peavey classic30 combo with 1x12 open back...

there are reasonable priced 2x12 cabs out there, but its all up to taste and what you are looking at

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I went for an Orange 2x12. Looking forward to cranking it with the band. I also tried a 1x12, which was nice. Although, as soon as I tried a fuzz through it, the bottom end went. Trying the 2x12 just showed what a world of difference the extra speaker makes.

IMG_0357.jpg

Archived