The nicest sounding pickups you have played/heard

• Members

As you may know I tend to talk about Bare Knuckle pickups a lot. But the point of this thread is to find out what are the nicest pickups you have heard/played. What pup combinations do you love to use?

I love the sound of BKP Mothers Milk set in my strat. I enjoy the combination of Nailbomb(Bridge), Trilogy suit, Cold Sweat (Neck) in my Purple Ibby.

I also like the SH4/SH5's, and Antiquity 2 surfs by SD.

How about you guys?

• Members

I like Kinmans: a Fat Hank in the bridge, with Woodstocks in the middle and neck. I'm also finding a new respect for my SCN's despite having them for 8 years. I have found the right amp for them. I know I hate the Texas Specials....aargh!!

• Members

I happened to find my favorite pickup maker randomly on ebay.

The guy who makes this set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Wound-Stratocaster-Pickup-Set/280848336770?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=018&category=22670&cmd=ViewItem#ht_500wt_1287

Here's a clip of my tele with a set of his pickups:

http://soundcloud.com/cjmventer/v-holy-holy-holy

I have several sets of his pickups for various guitars. They're all extremely dynamic.

• Members

My CS tele has a handwound set from famed Abigail Ybarra, and they are indeed sweet. Will never change them. Hard to believe she's been making pickups since the beginning of Fender. Who would've guessed.

• Members

My buddy has a '58 Les Paul with original PAFs. That guitar into his '72 Plexi Super Lead halfstack pretty much rules the known universe. I'm not even a big fan of the humbucker/Marshall sound, but holy {censored}snacks does that rig sound like the voice of FSM.

• Members

For bringing the heavies Gibson Iommi bridge and GFS mean 90 neck is my fav combo so far, thick, crunchy and yet articulate with drop tunings. For clean stuff well i'm still experimenting with my jazzmasters and havent quite settled yet, but i'm a p90 fan and like my stock CP p/u's alot.

• Members

Whenever the word strat is mentioned I know someone won't appreciate my opinion on tone, but my preferred pickups are Duncan quad rails, I'm compared to emg 85, Duncan distortion, Dimarzio X2N, Bill Lawrence XL500. They have the perfect tone for distortion, also giving a mellow and hum canceled tone split. Not the choice for cleans if that's not obvious though.

Archived