Flanger Hoax + Small Stone = Redundant?

• Members

I like that the Flanger Hoax has a phase element to it. If you had both, or thought about having both, would you have them on the same board or is it overkill?

I like the FH and it looks like a fun pedal to have. I also like my Small Stone but I don't know whether I should try to trade it or sell it if I find a FH for cheap.

Thoughts?

• Members

very different things. plus the SS is infinitely easier to dial in for obvious reasons.

plus the FH has that damn volume drop that made it useless for me in a live situation.

Cool.

I knew that the FH does a ton of things but i forget where but I heard the FH also does some simple, classic sounds.

So there is a volume drop with the FH? Can it be modded?

• Members

some settings have a volume drop, but not all. Just have to pair it with a boost, like an LPB-1 or get a Boss LS-2, and put the Hoax in a loop on that and boost the signal. The Hoax is so unique and awesome that it is worth the trouble....YMMV.

I like, I like. Herm, I think I might need to try one once le tax return comes around.

• Members

Sounds like you want phaser + flanger in one box? I think there is a aussie made pedal that does that... GNI I believe. If you aren't stuck on having both effects in the same box I'd just go hunting for a flanger you like if you are happy with the SS for phaser and want to add flanger to your setup.

• Members

I had a Hoax for 6m and never managed to coax a small stone-esque sweep out of it. The phaser is more like a filter on the delay lines than a second effect. You can get some vibey / Phase 45 type sounds out of it with a fast LFO, but a constant slow sine-wave LFO like on a SS is hard to find.

• Members

I love modulation, and, for me, the FH is the king of all modulation devices.

That said: I also own a Small Stone (v2, I believe) . . . . . . . . . and a Deluxe Electric Mistress.

I find it difficult to dial in truly satisfying "classic" phase and flanging sounds from the FH, but if you are good at tweaking it, you don't really need any other modulation. I would get the FH now and then you can happen upon a cheap SS later.

• Members

I had a Hoax for 6m and never managed to coax a small stone-esque sweep out of it. The phaser is more like a filter on the delay lines than a second effect. You can get some vibey / Phase 45 type sounds out of it with a fast LFO, but a constant slow sine-wave LFO like on a SS is hard to find.

It's in there, but you always hear that kind of comb-filtery sound of the delays -- the Small Stone is hard to duplicate.

• Members

yeah the whole "put it in a true bypass loop with a boost pedal" was totally not worth it to me. and i LOVE modulation. but the Flanger Hoax is huge already, combine that with a boost pedal AND a true bypass looper....no thanks. not for one effect. (i know it does TONS of sounds, but with no presets, not worth it at all)

• Members

yeah the whole "put it in a true bypass loop with a boost pedal" was totally not worth it to me. and i LOVE modulation. but the Flanger Hoax is huge already, combine that with a boost pedal AND a true bypass looper....no thanks. not for one effect. (i know it does TONS of sounds, but with no presets, not worth it at all)

there are some great settings that cause a dip in volume, which will nearly obliterate your s/n. But there are also some killer settings that give you a volume boost if anything.

• Members

Interesting.

Weird thing is, I am not much of a flanger guy and had dismissed the FH for a while because of it. Then, I came across the thread and read that it really is more of a multi-purpose box and I figured I should look further into it.

I guess I am concerned about the volume dip considering that I run a stupid amount of pedals, and it's also the reason I am getting the Analogman mod for my SS. Maybe I should use it in a smaller chain.

For the same reason of trying to avoid adding more stuff, I am also hesitant to add a total of three pedals on one board, although I might just use it on a separate board?

Archived