Shipping items through craigslist

mrweems

• Members

How does one go abouts getting more information to verify the person on the other end?

This is past the typical scams.

Lately i've been getting some better "worded" scam emails. And i've got one now that i'm not sure about.

• Members

i shipped an item through a craigslist sale once and it went fine. had some back and forth emails with the buyer in which he seemed like a normal person and never made any weird requests. he paypaled me and i shipped the item after i got paid. no big deal. come to think of it, i've done that twice and it was fine both times.

• Members

Get money. Ship item. Problem solved, no?

Yes,

But they want to use paypal.

And i've read to many horror stories of person shipping item and claiming it doesn't work blah blah. person gets their money back and your item.

• Members

i shipped an item through a craigslist sale once and it went fine. had some back and forth emails with the buyer in which he seemed like a normal person and never made any weird requests. he paypaled me and i shipped the item after i got paid. no big deal. come to think of it, i've done that twice and it was fine both times.

pretty much same for me. i've shipped through CL once or twice, both were fine. maybe ask if the other dude has an account on HCFX or TGP or TDPRI or whatever

• Members

pretty much same for me. i've shipped through CL once or twice, both were fine. maybe ask if the other dude has an account on HCFX or TGP or TDPRI or whatever

non guitar related. Photo, selling a lens. Trying to move up to FX.

• Members

Bought camera stuff off a dude on craigslist in NC.

It was a great deal, he got his asking price, I got my {censored} mad cheap.

It is a faith thing though, have to ask if the risk/reward thing lines up

I bought a 300 item that sells used for ~200 for 120 shipped, so it was worth the risk in my case, and the dude turned out to be great.

• Members

Yes,

And i've read to many horror stories of person shipping item and claiming it doesn't work blah blah. person gets their money back and your item.

insist on them paying for insured shipping. offer a couple of days return policy or something so that you can get the item back and them get their money back if they're not happy.

• Members

Yes,

well that's a little different than a hardcore spam scammer or whatever, because they have to win a claim and somehow still keep the item (don't understand that part since you should be able to demand it's returned if they're getting a refund). I mean no one is going to do that repeatedly, because it's too much work and eventually paypal would stop rewarding their claims...

..but still you want to be safe. The safest thing you can do is take pictures of the lens beforehand and ship it fully insured. They could still claim there is an internal issue with the lens and file a claim through paypal, but, if you lose, you should still get the lens back and maybe have a usps insurance claim. So, it doesn't really make sense that someone would go to this much trouble to rip you off (they end up with their money back and no lens, so there's no profit).

• Members

I recently sold a pedal through a Facebook group funnily enough. I thought it was dodgy at the start as I sent him the tracking info and he didn't respond. I watched the thing like a hawk and he messaged me pretty much the day it arrived and said it was all good. He emailed me again and I got worried when I saw who it was from but it was just to ask for settings that I used.

Fingers crossed, knock on wood, grow a pair, etcetcetc. :lol:

• Members

Yes,

I'd be leery too. If they "gift" the money to you, I believe they cannot retract the payment. But if the money is sent as a invoice or payment that indicates a transaction took place then they can claim the item never arrived/was damaged/whatever and cause you grief.

Personally I would ask for a postal money order. If they are serious, they will agree. It's either end tries to screw over the PO (fraud) that is a federal crime and bad mojo will commence. Once the MO has arrived and deposits/clears with your bank, ship away without worry.

I'd also make sure you splurge the extra 70+ cents on delivery confirmation if you are shipping USPS to make sure it was delivered.

• Members

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I always look at ads nationally and ask for shipping, I'm sure a lot of other people do it.

Furthermore for transactions outside of ebay paypal only protects on non-delivery. If they don't like what you sent they can't do anything about it as long as you got tracking (signature for over 250 i think).

• Members

Yes,

Like I said they can only do this on ebay.

• Members

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I always look at ads nationally and ask for shipping, I'm sure a lot of other people do it.

Furthermore for transactions outside of ebay paypal only protects on non-delivery. If they don't like what you sent they can't do anything about it as long as you got tracking (signature for over 250 i think).

it's WELL over $250.

I just sent her a message stating my conditions based off you guys recommendation.

We shall see on the reply.

Based off the sale, I'll just be a little halfway shy of a 5d MK ii and 24-70.

• Members

What about having the account your PayPal is hooked into separate from your regular account. When they pay you, remove the cash so if there is a claim PP cannot freeze your money, as none will be there...?

i do this every time. this is standard practice for me

Archived