Any good free tuners for the PC

omni

• Members

actually a great question as I need one for intonation my guitar - I use my pitch factor's tuner but I don't think its maybe as sensitive as is needed.

Is the polytune app for iPhone really good?

Wow, I was thinking getting the Peterson istrobosoft for my iphone.. You need to get an adapter though, like 12 bucks..for intonation I think I'm gonna do the Peterson. 10 bucks and 12 for the adapter thinger... is kinda a no brainer I guess. The polytune is not gonna be as good for intonation.

I think you'll like the iStrobosoft. I've had it for a couple of years now, and I really like it. It seems to be as accurate as my hardware Peterson VS II. I use an IK Multimedia iRig for the interface... which has been acting up on me lately. :( Time for a new one I guess...

• Members

AP Tuner is great, i use it for intonations and stuff all the time: http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

It is quick with the tracking, accurate, and the interface is graphically scalable so you could, for instance, make it as big as your monitor, and work on a guitar from a workbench on the other side of the room. {censored} is awesome.

• Members

AP Tuner is great, i use it for intonations and stuff all the time:

It is quick with the tracking, accurate, and the interface is graphically scalable so you could, for instance, make it as big as your monitor, and work on a guitar from a workbench on the other side of the room. {censored} is awesome.

I tried it in the past, for electric guitar.. it was a bit jumpy. I do like your mustache though. Wyatt Earp would be jealous.

• Members
I think you'll like the iStrobosoft. I've had it for a couple of years now, and I really like it. It seems to be as accurate as my hardware Peterson VS II. I use an IK Multimedia iRig for the interface... which has been acting up on me lately.
:(
Time for a new one I guess...

I'm gonna check it out, for the price it seems great. I have been playing the guitar for 30 years but never have trusted my ears..:facepalm:

• Members

I tried it in the past, for electric guitar.. it was a bit jumpy. I do like your mustache though. Wyatt Earp would be jealous.

Actually tried it out again tonight cuz of you Wyatt. Not bad at all...

• Members

Actually tried it out again tonight cuz of you Wyatt. Not bad at all...

I find that as long as i pay attention to the input signal level on the left side of the tuner, and make sure that it is at least at about halfway, and preferably about 75%, it will be pretty steady, with most guitars. If you give it too little signal, or if you give it way too much(i.e. the input is overloading) it will have trouble tracking and be jumpy, because it is accurate enough to pick up the harmonics and overtones in both cases and it will track them if they are close enough in volume to the fundamental guitar signal. This is true of most tuners though, that input level is key.

Another trick for all tuners, to steady the tracking if it is seeming a bit jumpy, is to roll the tone knob off all or most of the way, to simplify the guitar signal for the tuner, by cutting out the higher harmonics, which on some very bright guitars can ring or resonate loudly enough to confuse a tuner.

Lastly, AP Tuner has some options for tracking analysis and speed settings that will slow the needle down if it is a moving around a bit much for you. I like it set quick, but if i was just using it for general tuning and not intonations, i could see slowing it down to make it easier to just get guitars in tune without fuss.

• Members

Chris D.. where do I adjust the input level? Thank you..Wyatt.

Ideally, by turning the level of the guitar, or interface preamp up. If you aren't using an interface/preamp, then it would likely be done via your soundcard's software input mixer. This can be accessed by the windows control panel usually, depending on sound card.

If however you can't get enough input level from your guitar even with the soundcard input maxxed, you can also do it: Guitar>Cleanboost>ComputerInput. Even a regular old tubescreamer with the gain all the way down, just using the level control as an input volume control, can work fine. As long as the thing is not adding much distortion, it will work. Using a pedal like this will also work, if you are actually getting too hot of a guitar signal, and need to attenuate it a little before it hits the computer.

You rang? :)

Download the free version of Amplitube if you haven't already. It's a cool app. Lots of surprisingly good amp and effects sims, as well as a four track recorder, tuner, metronome, etc. IMO, the best deal is to just buy the "all-in" package, but even the freebie version should give you a decent feel for the app.

There are a ton of music and audio related apps available for the iPhone. "What would you like to do with it" is probably the better question. :)

Archived