What does the rest of the world think about Americans?

Naterel

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That you're just a country with a bunch of people trying to live their lives, no better or worse that any other country. You throw your economic and military might around sometimes trying to be on the side of right/god/morality etc but also only when it suits yourselves/your leaders. But that's no worse than lots of other countries both today and in the past.

• Members

There's this perception I suppose that nobody in the US really seems to quite acknowledge how horrifically corporatist and right wing their country is; that your would-be liberal party would be fringe right-wing radicals in any other social democracy in the world. I mean christ, even here in the 51st state there isn't anything approaching the US libertarian movement. I think people are just baffled at how a country can be so unwilling to help it's own people but yet so willing to interfere with other countries so ruthlessly

So I guess there's this perception that people in the US think they live in the greatest country in the world, and yet tens of thousands of people die every year just from being unable to afford healthcare; that's very hard for the rest of the western world to understand, really.

• Members

Hunger Games sucks so bad. Worst movie ever. Glad I watched a cam version free on the interwebs.

i often find that the worse the movie is i'd rather have a better quality version. i could never suffer a cam version of a {censored} movie. and that's why no one will remember my name.

• Members

There's this perception I suppose that nobody in the US really seems to quite acknowledge how horrifically corporatist and right wing their country is; that your would-be liberal party would be fringe right-wing radicals in any other social democracy in the world. I mean christ, even here in the 51st state there isn't anything approaching the US libertarian movement. I think people are just baffled at how a country can be so unwilling to help it's own people but yet so willing to interfere with other countries so ruthlessly

So I guess there's this perception that people in the US think they live in the greatest country in the world, and yet tens of thousands of people die every year just from being unable to afford healthcare; that's very hard for the rest of the western world to understand, really.

At the risk of contradicting my earlier post completely......

It's always baffled me somewhat that a country that fetishises the word 'Democracy' doesn't utilise it more! Vote mother{censored}ers, vote!!

• Members

I have met plenty of americans this last 10 years, and they were nice people for the most part.

And you have Fender and all these cool effects!!

However, american politics, army, and economic power are the worst thing that has happen to the world on the last 50 years.

• Members

Oh, many of us realize these things. Personally, I'm scared to death of what will happen if a blatant corporotist like any of the current choices manages to become president. Granted our current president it's exactly what I'd call liberal especially with respect to corporate interests, but I'm also not sure he could do much to change the way things are run. However, someone even more sympathetic to handing over all power to corporations is a frightening thought.

One day schools will be owned by corporations, I fear, and mainly serve as brand loyalty cultivators.

• Members
Oh, many of us realize these things. Personally, I'm scared to death of what will happen if a blatant corporotist like any of the current choices manages to become president. Granted our current president it's exactly what I'd call liberal especially with respect to corporate interests, but I'm also not sure he could do much to change the way things are run. However, someone even more sympathetic to handing over all power to corporations is a frightening thought.

One day schools will be owned by corporations, I fear, and mainly serve as brand loyalty cultivators.

They're trying to privatise the provision of healthcare, roads, schools etc. here and I can't tell if everybody's furious or they don't give a {censored}. So I guess I know how you feel ;)

Archived