Maxon OD808 or MXR M77 Custom Modified Badass Overdrive

yell03

• Members

I already have two overdrives....

a Fulltone OCD and a Boss SD1

I also have a Boss DS1 distortion and today I ordered the MXR M78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion pedal, for $66 I have to give it a shot.

I am thinking of getting another overdrive, either the Maxon OD808 for $130 or the MXR M77 for $89.

I typically use my SD1 as a boost for my OCD and I use both the OCD and SD1 as boosts for my DS1.

Most likely the OD808 will be used as a boost pedal, the MXR M77 seems more like the OCD, but I am not sure.

I could use some advice.

• Members

That's a whole lot of overlap you have going on there.

SD1, OD808 and the M77 are all going to get you pretty similar results. Of those 3, I'd go with the MXR. I like the 100hz knob and the tone control is good.

The DS1 and the M78... I believe the M78 IS a modified DS1.

The OCD is good.

If it were me, I'd stick to just the M77 Badass Overdrive and the OCD. There's plenty of tones you can get out of those two (both alone and stacked) and they are both good sounding drives.

Keep: M77, OCD

Dump: DS1, SD1, M78, 808

• Members

That's a whole lot of overlap you have going on there.

SD1, OD808 and the M77 are all going to get you pretty similar results. Of those 3, I'd go with the MXR. I like the 100hz knob and the tone control is good.

The DS1 and the M78... I believe the M78 IS a modified DS1.

The OCD is good.

If it were me, I'd stick to just the M77 Badass Overdrive and the OCD. There's plenty of tones you can get out of those two (both alone and stacked) and they are both good sounding drives.

Keep: M77, OCD

Dump: DS1, SD1, M78, 808

I agree with Zappa on this one. The MXR Modified OD is a great pedal. Wasn't sure at first, but it's really grown on me. The tone controls are very useful, the mid boost switch is nice at times to have, other times you'll want it off - great to have the option. The amount of gain is very usable too, and there is a ton of volume on tap. A bit less would even be welcome, but otherwise a finely executed overdrive that won't break the bank.

• Members

I agree with Zappa on this one. The MXR Modified OD is a great pedal. Wasn't sure at first, but it's really grown on me. The tone controls are very useful, the mid boost switch is nice at times to have, other times you'll want it off - great to have the option. The amount of gain is very usable too, and there is a ton of volume on tap. A bit less would even be welcome, but otherwise a finely executed overdrive that won't break the bank.

Thanks, so far the only one I have ordered is the M78 since I already have two overdrives.

I am really going to research the MX77 and OD808.

• Members

I caved and ordered the MXR M77.

I think it will probably be a good match for the MXR M78 distortion that should arrive tomorrow.

Once I get both I will post some reviews.

It should be interesting getting a comparison of Boss SD1, Fulltone OCD, and MXR M77 overdrives and MXR M78 and Boss DS1 Distortions.

Right now the only 3 pedals I really use are the Boss SD1 as a boost for my Fulltone OCD and then a Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master Reverb/Delay.

If it works as well as possible.....

I expect the two Boss Pedals (SD1 and DS1) to be my travel/back-up pedals, but I really love the SD1 as a boost, so the M77 has its work cut out to displace it from the board.

In a perfect world I could cut down to just the M77 and M78, but I can't believe any pedal can beat the Fulltone OCD.

Well, after they both arrive my OCD (no the fulltone ocd) will be in high gear while I A/B all of them.

• Members

I think you'll like the Modified OD. If it sounds like an SD-1 I'll be surprised. I had a modded SD-1 from JHS, thought it sounded like crap to be honest. Not sure what it was, but one of the few overdrives I could hardly wait to get rid of, and I waited over a month from JHS to get it. The MXR is better in every way, but I'm going on memory here, I'll be curious to hear your opinions on the two.

If you like the OCD, I think you would like the SolidGoldFX SuperDrive I have in my sig for sale, even more. It has some similar qualities to the OCD, but the presence control on the SD helps you dial in the amount of compression you want (or don't want). I also think it has more gain overall. It does not sound like my MXR either, almost impossible to dial in the two to sound like each other, so little overlap. The MXR is warmer, more mids, less gain, somewhat less compression too. Both have a lot of volume on tap. I would love to compare my old OCD to the Superdrive, but I'm pretty sure the SD is the better pedal of the two.

• Members

I think you'll like the Modified OD. If it sounds like an SD-1 I'll be surprised. I had a modded SD-1 from JHS, thought it sounded like crap to be honest. Not sure what it was, but one of the few overdrives I could hardly wait to get rid of, and I waited over a month from JHS to get it. The MXR is better in every way, but I'm going on memory here, I'll be curious to hear your opinions on the two.

If you like the OCD, I think you would like the SolidGoldFX SuperDrive I have in my sig for sale, even more. It has some similar qualities to the OCD, but the presence control on the SD helps you dial in the amount of compression you want (or don't want). I also think it has more gain overall. It does not sound like my MXR either, almost impossible to dial in the two to sound like each other, so little overlap. The MXR is warmer, more mids, less gain, somewhat less compression too. Both have a lot of volume on tap. I would love to compare my old OCD to the Superdrive, but I'm pretty sure the SD is the better pedal of the two.

I don't like the tone of the SD1 by itself at all, I just like it as a boost for my OCD or for my Buddas dirty channel.

• Members

I received the MXR M78 Distortion, I am blown away. It is the best sounding distortion I have ever used. Very Gritty, defintely a hotrodded DS1 type of pedal.

It immediately kicked the Boss DS1 and Boss SD1 off my board.

The DS1 sounds thin in comparison.

The SD1 as a boost colors the MXRs tone too much.

Right now I am using the Fulltone OCD to Boost the MXR M78.

Previously I used the Fulltone OCD for my dirt and boosted it with the SD1.

• Members

Almost all lead.

I tend to play Powerchords or Open Chords with gain and then riff in between when I practice, in a band situation almost 95% lead and riffs.

I used the od808 into an el84 based high gain amp and it really made the lead sound come out evenly and so thickly but I haven't got my actual gear to be able to demo it anymore :(

It's all back in the UK.

• Members

I used the od808 into an el84 based high gain amp and it really made the lead sound come out evenly and so thickly but I haven't got my actual gear to be able to demo it anymore
:(
It's all back in the UK.

If the MXR 77 shows up and is all I hope it will be, maybe I will sell my OCD and buy the OD808 to give it a try.

• Members

I just went through a phase with the MXR 78 and 77; they both work very well together. The Maxon OD808 is also a great pedal. That's a really difficult choice. I'd probably go with the MXR pair though.

The MXR 77 should be here by weeks end and I will definitely try them together.

• Members

The MXR M77 showed up today.

It is a lot different than the M78 and the OCD.

Where the M78 is a hotrodded DS1 type of sound, the M77 is more of a hotrodded & more transparent SD1 type of pedal.

In fact, the M77 is kind of a cross between the TS808 and SD1, it works nice as a boost, but also sounds good on its own.

I will say the M78 is my favorite dirt pedal followed by the OCD, but I think the M77 will stay.

The SD1 and DS1 are off the board.

Archived