Moog Slim Phatty/Phatty 2/Minitaur or Arturia Minibrute?

Kid_A

• Members

I know its not the synth forum... but you lot do like your synths :)

Anyone tried any of these? Im looking for something that will cover a fair bit of ground, but focused on huge bass sounds... they all seem to be about the same price-ish, especially the used prices the phattys go for.

Pro's/cons?

• Members

Well, i love the slim phatty, but I also kinda want a minitaur. The Phatty does have plenty of great bass sounds available and is more flexible in the tonality because of its two continuously variable waveshape oscillators, but the Minitaur is specifically geared towards bass. Of course it only has saw and square waveforms, but it does have one knob per each parameter (not counting hidden ones) which is sort of an attractive feature to me.

I haven't tried the minibrute but it's a single oscillator system if that makes a difference to you. Both the moogs are dual oscillator synths.

• Members

Little Phatty: has a keyboard, Taurus inspired bass presets, but can do other things. And the arpegiator is awesome...it arpegiated things haha I dunno what you're asking by saying "what's the arpegiator like"

Slim Phatty: has all the controls of the little phatty, but no keyboard. You'll need a midi keyboard....but also has Midi thru so you can chain them together to make a poly synth.

Minitaur: Taurus with no presets, no keyboard/foot pedals. Just a kick ass bass synth you'll need to control via midi keyboard. One knob per function which is fun. Just does only bass though.

• Members

Little Phatty: has a keyboard, Taurus inspired bass presets, but can do other things. And the arpegiator is awesome...it arpegiated things haha I dunno what you're asking by saying "what's the arpegiator like"

Slim Phatty: has all the controls of the little phatty, but no keyboard. You'll need a midi keyboard....but also has Midi thru so you can chain them together to make a poly synth.

Minitaur: Taurus with no presets, no keyboard/foot pedals. Just a kick ass bass synth you'll need to control via midi keyboard. One knob per function which is fun. Just does only bass though.

Previous analogue synths ive had had been a bit {censored} with their arppegiators, and i've never used one of Moogs analogue path, but digital control synths before..

I like the midi thru idea... hmmmm.....

I say previous... my SH101 was the only one with an arp, and was crap

• Members

I'm excited about the Mini-Brute. Sure, it's a single-oscillator but the interface looks brilliant. With 3.5mm CV In/Out, you can patch it into other things. And you can always add another oscillator through the Audio In.

A friend played one at NAMM, then called and told me that I _needed_ to buy it. FWIW, this friend had a patch named after him on the first edition Moog Little Phatty.

• Members

Ahhhhh, didnt know the minibrute was a single oscillator!

Whats the arpeggiator like on the phatty?

This really shouldn't adversely affect it's application as a bass synth. The oscillator has multiple splits, one of which is a detunable multi-saw, as well as a sub oscillator that can be set to 1 or 2 octaves down. It's pretty {censored}ing thick from what I've heard.

Archived