Price check: Boss RV-5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was going to say $90 or so.

And, yeah, the RV-3 is the legendary one used by EITS and Radiohead, and countless other acts.

It does 100% wet delay and reverb.

It's a like a poor-man's, more crazy Dispatch Master. Great pedal. I own two.

I thought radiohead used the RV-2? maybe they used both...

• Members

I have the RV5 and the 2 now. The 5 is up for trade. It's just too crisp to my ears.
I had the RV3 (2 times) years ago, before I had the 2 or the 5.
I really like the 2. Warm and pink. Hows that for a reverb adjective!
And the 3? Yeah, i'm gonna look into getting one for the 3rd time.. That hall mode is delicious.

But while it doesn't have trails, I would absolutely rather have the Dispatch Master.
But if you need trails, go with the RV3 or the 5.
The 5's modulate mode I learned doesn't do it for me
I might try a hardwire reverb soon for that.

• Members

Rv-5 is great. Got mine for $60 shipped from someone here a few years ago. But usually see them here for $90-100 shipped. Rv-3 is good too, not modulate as others stated. It also had that annoying mute between bypass.

• Members

Loving my RV-3, but if you're a big time reverb user, I guess it'd make sense to own both the RV-3 and RV-5. They'd obviously cover some of the same ground, but they're still different enough to justify spending a total of about $150 on impo, would make an awesome do-it-all reverb combo for everything from surf to post rock to shoegazer, etc...

The sharp/digital/cold/whatever repeats of the rv3's delay is actually one of the reasons I really like it. I'm in a tree piece band/jam thing, and the delay of the RV3 cuts through a lot better than my DD5, which is also nice, but tends to get muddy compared to the crisp sounding RV3...

• Members

Loving my RV-3, but if you're a big time reverb user, I guess it'd make sense to own both the RV-3 and RV-5. They'd obviously cover some of the same ground, but they're still different enough to justify spending a total of about $150 on impo, would make an awesome do-it-all reverb combo for everything from surf to post rock to shoegazer, etc...

The sharp/digital/cold/whatever repeats of the rv3's delay is actually one of the reasons I really like it. I'm in a tree piece band/jam thing, and the delay of the RV3 cuts through a lot better than my DD5, which is also nice, but tends to get muddy compared to the crisp sounding RV3...

Definitely, I rocked an RV-5 (for modulated and spring stuff) into an RV-2 (for halls) for a little while and I'd totally do it again. I've even thought about doing it in addition to the Wet. Obviously it would be overkill, but they're all quite different and could definitely be useful depending on the range of music you play.

• Members
The RV-3 has great youtube videos.....the RV-5 not so much....
:(

Trying to get a feel for whether or not I should go for it?

If you already have a reverb, maybe not. Its my main reverb and I like it a lot, better than the HOF I had- the RV-5 just sound good at LOUD volumes, with a band. I found the HOF was good in the bedroom, by myself, at modest volumes but didn't sit well with a band at loud volumes.

I've had quite a lot of verb pedals - some for sure "better" than the RV-5 - like a spring chicken, and chicklet. Those of course kick the 5's ass in the spring department but I don't use the spring on the 5. The mod, hall and plate are pretty good. The 5 can't do 100% wet is a little bit of a bummer but its still a good pedal.

• Members

If you already have a reverb, maybe not. Its my main reverb and I like it a lot, better than the HOF I had- the RV-5 just sound good at LOUD volumes, with a band. I found the HOF was good in the bedroom, by myself, at modest volumes but didn't sit well with a band at loud volumes.

I've had quite a lot of verb pedals - some for sure "better" than the RV-5 - like a spring chicken, and chicklet. Those of course kick the 5's ass in the spring department but I don't use the spring on the 5. The mod, hall and plate are pretty good. The 5 can't do 100% wet is a little bit of a bummer but its still a good pedal.

Do you use it as an ambient reverb or a way to add a little depth?

What's the appeal to 100% wet? :idk:

• Members

Do you use it as an ambient reverb or a way to add a little depth?

What's the appeal to 100% wet?
:idk:

100% wet takes out all of the attack of the pick. It's like an auto-swell effect that fills the cosmos.

This is why I have two RV-3's, and I sold my two RV-5's.

Archived