Correcting volume loss from stomp box?

Infi-del

• Members

So, on my pedal board I have an older V4 EHX Big muff. To get the tone I like I have to set the volume at about half on the pedal. If I go higher it starts to mess the sound up. BUT! When I engage the pedal this creates a noticeable volume drop from my clean signal going through it. Anyway to solve this on the fly. I mean I know and I can just put a booster in line but I'd also have to engage that as well. I'm looking for a single stomp solution. Any thoughts?

^^^ Great answer.

I was going to suggest you put the Muff into a true bypass looper, with a boost or EQ pedal in the loop too; set it to boost the fuzz volume back up to unity gain or even a bit beyond it if that's what you'd prefer. Step on the TB loop pedal and your Muff and boost are both bypassed or activated simultaneously with a single footswitch. The nice thing about the LS-2 is that it gives you both functions in a single pedal - alternating between the A and B loop signal paths, each with a separate master level control. You wouldn't need that second boost or EQ pedal as a make-up gain stage - the LS-2 has it built right in.

• Members

Part of that is because of the compression and mid scoop of a big muff....it makes it feel like a volume drop. I can't tell you how many bands I hear with a clean sound and when they kick im distortion/fuzz, instead of getting bigger, the sound gets quieter. :facepalm:

• Members

Part of that is because of the compression and mid scoop of a big muff....it makes it feel like a volume drop. I can't tell you how many bands I hear with a clean sound and when they kick im distortion/fuzz, instead of getting bigger, the sound gets quieter.
:facepalm:

I sort of love it on Neutral Milk Hotel bootlegs though. Jeff steps on the muff and the guitar just disappears, and they generally didn't have a bass either so it was just a wall of drums an accordion, and a trumpet, haha.

• Members

Part of that is because of the compression and mid scoop of a big muff....it makes it feel like a volume drop. I can't tell you how many bands I hear with a clean sound and when they kick im distortion/fuzz, instead of getting bigger, the sound gets quieter.
:facepalm:

Good god... why don't they make more fuzzes with either a 3-band EQ or a mid-boost?

My Devi Ever Torn's Peaker was phenomenal :love: ... with an EQ pedal boosting the mids. :mad:

• Members

Are you sure that effect with the volume control is the pedal and not how your amp reacts to the fuzzed out sounds at different levels?

In other words, 'correcting' the volume drop (with a boost, mod or loop etc) may have the same effect on tone you describe as turning the muff's vol up.

• Members

Are you sure that effect with the volume control is the pedal and not how your amp reacts to the fuzzed out sounds at different levels?

In other words, 'correcting' the volume drop (with a boost, mod or loop etc) may have the same effect on tone you describe as turning the muff's vol up.

that's what i was thinking. the volune on your muff shouldn't affect the tonal quality of the sound.. unless you've been sniffing corks. it sounds like you don't like how the volume boost is driving your amp into a more compressed preamp-overdriving sound.. ?

try turning the preamp gain down and.the master volume u. if your amp allows it.

• Members

^^^ Great answer.

I was going to suggest you put the Muff into a true bypass looper, with a boost or EQ pedal in the loop too; set it to boost the fuzz volume back up to unity gain or even a bit beyond it if that's what you'd prefer. Step on the TB loop pedal and your Muff and boost are both bypassed or activated simultaneously with a single footswitch. The nice thing about the LS-2 is that it gives you both functions in a single pedal - alternating between the A and B loop signal paths, each with a separate master level control. You wouldn't need that second boost or EQ pedal as a make-up gain stage - the LS-2 has it built right in.

Thanks so much guys... That's gonna get it right there. I actually have an Empress Para EQ with 30db of boost after the Muff to shape the sound. But... having to engage the boost after the muff is clumsy to say the least. This way I can just leave the boost on and pop it all in line with the LS-2. Gotta get me one.

• Members

Just wanted to update the thread in case there are others who find this info useful. Picked up an LS-2 and got way more than I expected out of this pedal. It absolutely does as mentioned above where I can set my fuzz box, Distortion, and EQ in a loop to be engaged at the same time. But the A+B function is wonderful. Not only does it allow me to engage my EQed Dirt with one tap... it allows a layering of the pre-loop signal (which is colored with a Phaser and mild Octave Effect) and the EQed dirt that is even better than just distorting the signal. It's got the dirt... but keeps the articulation when balanced just right. It's worth getting one of these. It gives me more control over my effects chain.

• Members

pic?

At the practice space unfortunately but in one loop I basically have two different fuzzes coupled with a Keeley BD-2 and an Ibanex TSDX9 (?) tubescreamer. The loop is helping me to determine which od/fuzz combination is the best. It's nice because with differences in pedals I can just turn up the entire loop mix without having to worry about any one pedal.

Also you can run it so that one of your loops has a clean signal mixed with it - helpful for phasers and flangers that you like but that do not have their own 'mix' knobs.

Archived