Best way to ship an entire record collection?

• Members

I'm going to be moving across the country at the end of the summer for college, and I was just curious as to how I'll ship my record collection of approximately 300 records. Any particular kinds of boxes to use for such a task? How many records should I put in each box? Which carrier would be best/run the least risk of damage? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

• Members

Whenever I've moved house with my records they've gone in carrier bags in the back of my car, 25 or 30 discs in each so they're fairly easy to slot in among other boxes and bags. Never had a breakage yet. I assume you're not road trippin' your way to college though.

Once you get over yourself and realise that the size of your vinyl collection doesn't make you any more attractive to girls (or boys) you might find Loobs' suggestion more appealing- it'll be a ball-ache while you're doing it, but if the experience of college living arrangements in the US is anything like the university experience most of my friends had (dorms for the first year, rented house for the second, different rented house for the third, plus summers back home- more if you run in to house or housemate problems) you'll be glad you did it when you're moving all your shit again for the sixth time in three years.

Vinyl gets heavy quick- I don't think you'll want to carry a box with 300 records in it very far (if you can even lift it to begin with), so you might be as well to ship in several boxes, which will also cut your losses if one gets lost or damaged. Other than that, just use good sturdy boxes and lots of newspaper/peanuts/bubble wrap :idk:

• Members

Biggest drawback to vinyl is their size, and the space they take up. I had someone offer my place of work a fairly sizable vinyl collection of classical music, some of it fairly rare, and some of the collection has never made it to digital. But with 10,000 albums in the collection, no one had the time to devote to its storage, or converting it to digital, a shame really.

Archived