How to get the best cleans from a Vox

Stevenglass

• Members

Okay, so i just cancelled my hold on the Mesa .22 because i saw that they are selling for 450 online, compared to the 700 they are selling in the store.

Leading up to me trying to get a better base tone from my amp. It's the vox ac15c1.

I want to get fender like cleans almost. I know there is a different type of tube and speaker, but what do you guys think i can do to get a better clean from this amp? My only concern is that it sounds kind of thin and lacking in clarity. I'm looking for a really clear sexy tone.

Sorry for 2 threads. I love you all.

• Members

i think this handles pedals way better then most fenders i've played. I really like this amp a lot. I'm just wondering if there is a little better tone i can squeeze out somewhere.

I found the exact opposite with my old AC30CC, it wasn't a great pedal platform at all for me whereas my Traynor YGL (similar to a Twin) handles them really well.

sell it. buy a fender.

Or add a Fender to it... which is what I do. I run a Princeton Reverb II and a Vox AC15cc1 together, and they sound great together.

Vox amps have a lot more midrange than your typical BF / SF Fender. Start by using a graphic EQ to notch out some of the mids and see if you prefer that sound.

• Members

Leading up to me trying to get a better base tone from my amp. It's the vox ac15c1.

I want to get fender like cleans almost....My only concern is that it sounds kind of thin and lacking in clarity. I'm looking for a really clear sexy tone.

Sorry for 2 threads. I love you all.

The thing I've been finding is that vox amps tend to dictate their tone to you. They are midrangey, compressed, and the chime and loose bass means they don't sound clear. It sounds like you're fighting the very nature of the amp, so I think you might well want to try something else.

• Members

had an ac30, switch to a silverface super reverb for this very reason. Even on the Normal channel my bridge pickup would tend to get to brittle sounding on the clean-semi clean tones. Plus I did not like the reverb at all. Didn't sound like an amp spring reverb. Switching to the Fender opened up a spot on my pedalboard. Winning!

• Members

It's funny. My telecaster, as much as i hate humbuckers, they sound good in my tele, and they make the amp sound great. It's my number 1 strat that is sounding cheesey and small with this amp, even with a compressor. You know?

Turn off the compressor, and roll back your guitar volume to about 8 with the amp cranked up. You're welcome.

• Members

Check out this schematic. Two things that you could do that would make it less bright and give you more low end would be to remove C26 and change C5 to a larger value such at .01-.047uF. That'll take you from AC30 brilliant channel to normal channel. If you're so inclined you could even put those caps on switches to go between.

VoxAC15CC3-Preamp.jpg

• Members

Or add a Fender to it... which is what I do. I run a Princeton Reverb II and a Vox AC15cc1 together, and they sound great together.

Vox amps have a lot more midrange than your typical BF / SF Fender. Start by using a graphic EQ to notch out some of the mids and see if you prefer that sound.

I do this too, although my Fender is a Mustang III which isn't tube, but in some respects, it's cleans are almost as good. Much better bottom end too, fills out nicely with my AC15.

Also, I like using a Mad Prof FGC comp, using either the sustain or comp mode. Just seems to bring the amp alive with cleans. Are you using the Vox's reverb? I don't like it personally, seems a bit lifeless. I do like the HoF, seems to make the cleans very spacious.

Archived