Mooer Mini Pedal Review (Shim Verb and Pitch Box)

Aaron SS

• Members

I just got my Shim Verb and Pitch Box from Mooer. The total cost was $150 shipped for the pair direct from Mooer (based in China) and transit time was around 5 days. Finish and packaging were top notch (the shimverb is nearly identical to the finish on the El Cap) and the build quality is quite nice. You can email Mooer directly or I've noticed there are a few ebay sellers selling them now. First some pix and then I'll share my thoughts on them individually.

IMGP7160.jpg

IMGP7161.jpg

Shim Verb - There are a few reviews/videos of this out there so I'm sure you guys are probably already familiar with this one. Tiny reverb with 3 modes and 3 controls. I'll start with the room and spring settings - very nice and offers the added versatility of the color control and individual level and decay controls. I prefer the room setting simply because I'm not huge on spring reverb emulations/pedals. I'm a fan of the real thing and feel it's a harder sound to achieve in pedal form than the room setting. I'd say this is comparable to a slightly more versatile EHX Holy Grail. With that said the shimmer setting was the real reason I bought this pedal. I wanted something to add a little texture to my clean sounds and this looked like it would fit the bill quite nicely - and it does. While this is not comparable to the BSR's shimmer setting in both sound quality or price it is a really nice effect. I found that it needs a bit higher of a setting on the color knob to really shine but once I got it dialed in it was quite enjoyable. I ended on a 3 o clockish decay, 1 o clockish level, and 2 o clock for the color as that sat best in my opinion. Lush but not overly imposing.

Pitch Box - This is one of the newer effects that I haven't found a review of yet. The first things that sold me on it short of the price was that it tiny, polyphonic, has 3 modes, and a -24/+24 range. While this is really overkill for my needs as I only really wanted it for the -12 harmony, pitch shift and maybe a little lead harmonizing, it was nice to know I had all the other options. After trying it I must say I'm impressed with the tracking and overall sound quality. Not artificial sounding but at the same time not quite as nice an analog pitch shifter like say an EHX Octave Multiplexer. I'd say it falls the pog range. The only thing I would really like to have seen on this pedal is a mix control but I'll most likely gut mine and rehouse it with an external expression pedal controlled mix for whammy type sounds.

My overall goal was to get these for "special effect" type sounds and I feel like these are perfect for that purpose. Pedals to kick on when you want a little something different and non traditional.

• Members

good stuff aaron
:thu:

do you think the shimverb can hold its ground as your (anyone's) main reverb on their board? the size and price and modes seem indeed quite nice

I'm the first to admit not being a reverb connoisseur but I think it would be suitable for someones main reverb. I really think it could hold its own next to something like a holy grail.

• Members

What do the 3 modes on the Pitch Box do exactly?

I mean, I know what those modes are supposed to do but what I'm wondering is:

How does the knob work in detune mode - it obviously doesn't detune 24 semitones, so how deep does it actually detune and does the knob control that?

How does pitch shift differ functionally from harmony? Does the harmony mode have multiple voices or what? Do you set the key like with other shifters? How do you know what key you're in without a legend on the faceplate?

Is your clean signal always present?

Is the polyphony glitchy, or is it pretty smooth?

I'm interested in the pitch box, and the good tracking is a relief. If it tracks as well as a POG, I'm probably going to snag one. Thanks for the review and thanks in advance for answering any questions you feel like answering. I know I asked a bunch.

• Members

What do the 3 modes on the Pitch Box do exactly?

I mean, I know what those modes are supposed to do but what I'm wondering is:

How does the knob work in detune mode - it obviously doesn't detune 24 semitones, so how deep does it actually detune and does the knob control that?

How does pitch shift differ functionally from harmony? Does the harmony mode have multiple voices or what? Do you set the key like with other shifters? How do you know what key you're in without a legend on the faceplate?

Is your clean signal always present?

Is the polyphony glitchy, or is it pretty smooth?

I'm interested in the pitch box, and the good tracking is a relief. If it tracks as well as a POG, I'm probably going to snag one. Thanks for the review and thanks in advance for answering any questions you feel like answering. I know I asked a bunch.

Great questions :thu:

Harmony is a mix of the clean signal and the shifted signal - range from -24/+24 semitones in intervals of +/- 1,2,3,5,7,9,12,24

Pitch shift is a 100 wet shifted signal, no clean signal - range from -24/+24 semitones in intervals of +/- 1,2,3,5,7,9,12,24

Detune is a mix of the clean signal and the detuned signal - range from -40 cents/+40 cents

Polyphony is not glitchy at all, very smooth and tracks really well. I would easily put this in the same category as the pog stuff.

• Members

I'm thinking one of these Mooer pedals would work nicely in the effects loop of my Deluxe Memory Boy - I need something small and inexpensive. How many other pedals do they make? Maybe a vibrato or tremolo...

• Members

I'm thinking one of these Mooer pedals would work nicely in the effects loop of my Deluxe Memory Boy - I need something small and inexpensive. How many other pedals do they make? Maybe a vibrato or tremolo...

It would be great for that and I'm looking into making a delay with an effects loop for this as well.

Here's the page that lists all of their available pedals :

http://www.mooeraudio.com/en/Product.asp?PClassID=20

They also have pedals that are coming out that are not listed there like the ReEcho which is a digital delay capable of 800ms....really interested in that one as well. Hard to ignore then at that price

Archived