How many is too many?

BlackCustom

• Members

When it comes to guitar gear and especially pedals, I'm kinda lucky in that I usually have enough extra scratch to pick up a new one if I get a hankering.

It's starting to be a bit of a problem for me in that I have too many pedals to fit on a reasonable sized board. By "reasonable", I mean something that fits in with my needs as far as load in and stage space. I don't begrudge folks with giant pedalboards, but I can't work with that in my situation.

I don't have a problem with getting rid of something that doesn't work for my rig - my problem is with what I have left - which is either pretty toneful or fun to plug in everyonce in a while.

I'm curious to hear what you guys do to keep a lid on things pedal wise.

Are you one of those folks who say "if it's not on the board it has to go"?

Or "A few extras are ok, but just a few"

Or "There's no such thing as too many pedals"

• Members

I have three pt-jr size boards

a 'conventional' board: fuzz face>phase90>ce-2>timmy>rat>tremlune>dmm
a less conventional/bass board: SBEQ>pearl octaver>meatball>LTD>muff>electric misress>echo base
parallel path delay board: parallel looper/mixer>tc flashback with modulation and pitch in the delay loop. still working on this one.

All pedals are DIY minus the TC Flashback which serves as the delay engine on my fancy delay board. I usually run conventional board only but the bass board and delay board can be bookended for ridiculousness. Probably too many pedals but I dig options and love new sounds.

• Members

I went through a phase a few years ago where I was buying all kinds of pedals. Fuzz after fuzz after fuzz, more modulation than any reasonable person needs, multiple delays, etc etc. For the band I was with at the time, I needed all the different stuff. I just kept one board together, which was a big piece of plywood, and changed stuff out depending on how I was feeling at any given time.

Then I started playing more acoustic stuff, minimalist jazz, and started playing in a two piece rock deal. I went through all my pedals, kept the ones that I really, really liked, and sold the extras out of each category.

Now I don't even keep a pedal board assembled, I usually just use 1 fuzz/dirt box, my DMM, and a tuna melt trem. Sometimes I throw in a wah or an octave divider. That said, I still have a box full of pedals, still build a lot of different fuzzes, and I'm always on the lookout for something cool that may get used for one part on one song. And I started missing certain aspects of a lot of the stuff I sold off, so I ended up buying a lot of those pedals again.

TL;DR

I think if you have the funds and you have the space, there's no such thing as too many.

• Members

I have a nice little collection of about 20 pedals. I went through a phase that spanned from summer 2006 to winter 2010; where I was buying something every month or every 2-3 months it seemed. Now I like less, whatever fits on my pedaltrain jr. is a go. 5 effects and a tuner and that is it. I more or less had a fuzz addiction during that time though. Now I don't even have a single fuzz pedal on my board, lol.

Anyways, be it 4, 6, 10, 20 pedals, as long as it works for you.

• Members

I like to collect sounds so I have about 50 pedals that I use especially when recording to add tonality differences. A great example s dirt I never use the same pedal when recording multiple rhythm tracks on a song. I like the slight variations you get even if it is just from big muff ri to a swollen pickle.

• Members

I have two boards fully equipped. One is just the M13 and a POG2 with expression and volume pedals. That's on a PT-Pro. My smaller board is a PT-2 and has individual stomp boxes that let me do pretty much whatever I want. I have a few things that aren't on a board because they don't really see much use but I've modded them or they have more value to me as something to have around rather than trading for cash.

I currently have no pedal GAS, although I want to trade up for a new amp and a particular fancy microphone.

For me, I did have a lot of pedals not getting any use, and recently I decided I just needed to just kill it with fire and unload the things I wasn't using that didn't fit the above category.

• Members

I have two boards fully equipped. One is just the M13 and a POG2 with expression and volume pedals. That's on a PT-Pro. My smaller board is a PT-2 and has individual stomp boxes that let me do pretty much whatever I want. I have a few things that aren't on a board because they don't really see much use but I've modded them or they have more value to me as something to have around rather than trading for cash.

I currently have no pedal GAS, although I want to trade up for a new amp and a particular fancy microphone.

For me, I did have a lot of pedals not getting any use, and recently I decided I just needed to just kill it with fire and unload the things I wasn't using that didn't fit the above category.

You don't get gas, you get bas.

• Members

I think it's an individual thing. I pulled out a synth that I haven't used in 4 years today and meant to sell. Nope, it's staying. I used a hand drum today that I bought just to {censored} Bhz_econo out of but they had 10 to sell apparently and I meant to sell it to him for a profit but now intend to keep it.

OLOLOLLOLOL

I am on a sell off though. ; )

• Members

While a interesting question on its own, I think there are several key factors that play into how someone might feel about this. Income, storage space being two obvious ones. If you actually play in a band, if you play in a band for money (full or part time career) or if you just noodle around in your home, with dreams of doing more than that in the future or not. :p

Archived