Tomorrow night I have band practice, and I intend to put my looper in front.

Ryan.

• Members

The point being play two looped portions of whatever song is picked, verse and chorus.

Then I'll have the drummer, bassist, and vocalist play along with it.

My hope is to perfect my gain stages and to dial in the right tones to match the rest of the band. I don't want to beefy of bass from my hoof to start unjiving with the bassists rig. I don't want my mids clobbering the singer. And I don't want any hiss {censored}ing with a ride ting ting ting.

Any of you guys ever do this? It will be my first time.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Members
That's actually an interesting idea for finding the right tones, almost a bit like when you re-amp a guitar part.

Yeah, to be embarrassingly honest I got the idea from a youtube metal muff demo (surprise surprise, right guys?)... The dude played a loop and started tweaking knobs. If you ask me its the best way to get a full idea of how a pedal sounds. :thu:

• Members

you will most likely reveal how bad your drummer is at keeping time.

Yeah this is exactly what happens. And everyones looking at the loopstation like "that thing sounds a bit off"

Its like theres a certain amount of push/pull on the timing of a live band, just slight variations that everyone playing can trim slightly. All that gets exposed when playing to a machine that doesnt yeild that millisecond on the change.

Ive noticed the longer the loop is, the easier it is for the band to keep playing with it. If I do a single measure loop or something, its like laying a tile floor uneven, ones on, then slightly off, then slightly more off, then everyones looking around with a {censored} smell face.

In your case, playing a verse/chorus of the song straight through should work fine.

• Members

I do this all the time. It's literally impossible for me to continue playing while adjusting my pedals, because I need two hands to hold my instrument properly, and I can't bend over very well with it anyway. The M13 has a feature that lets you put the loop either pre or post effects. So I'll record a snippet of sound, loop it, then put my instrument down and add effects to the loop to nail down the sounds, without the acoustic of the bassoon clouding my ear or without having to simply deal with it at all. It's also a 100% consistent signal going into the effects, so I know I'm tweaking the effects, not the playing.

• Members

I do this all the time. It's literally impossible for me to continue playing while adjusting my pedals, because I need two hands to hold my instrument properly, and I can't bend over very well with it anyway. The M13 has a feature that lets you put the loop either pre or post effects. So I'll record a snippet of sound, loop it, then put my instrument down and add effects to the loop to nail down the sounds, without the acoustic of the bassoon clouding my ear or without having to simply deal with it at all. It's also a 100% consistent signal going into the effects, so I know I'm tweaking the effects, not the playing.

yeah, that's a cool feature of the m stuff.

• Members

You guys are totally working the wrong angle. I don't give a {censored} if he is completely off beat. As long as I can hear that the kick and toms aren't getting to muddy with the low end stuff and the chk of the HH isn't clashing with fizzyfuzz, I'll be okay...

Archived