I was looking for an overdrive...now I am thinking..maybe fuzz?

Pincookie1

• Members

lots to choose from.

i've seen vexter fuzz factorys going for under $100 quite often.

also recommend a big muff w/ tone wicker or a bass big muff (cheap muff alterantives).

also recommend a danelectro cool cat fuzz (the orange one which is a clone of the frantone peach fuzz).

also recommend a behringer super fuzz. (awesome, awesome pedal for chaepz)

also recommend a fredric effect's harmonic percolator for something between an od and a fuzz. (with the dip switch it gets much louder)

all pretty much 50~100 :thu:

• Members

I've recommended the Red Llama to a lot of people that want a sort of hybrid between a fuzz and an OD. At higher gain settings it definitely has a bit of a fuzzy feel to it, but it's not going to be nearly as over-the-top as a fuzz will be, if that's what you're looking for. If you go with a kit of the Llama, it's definitely within your price range. :)

• Members

there's a zoom ultra fuzz in the spam thread. it's $90, which is more than you're looking to pay, but it's a super versatile fuzz pedal (and that's a pretty good deal on one) that could give you a wide range of fuzz sounds to play with and decide what you like. If you're definitely set at not going over $50, I recommend either a little big muff or finding a used Ibanez FZ5 60s fuzz, it's a big muff knock off that sounds great. I wouldn't recommend the Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz v1. I had it and I thought it was a crappy fuzz sound (though it seems to lean more towards distortion). Oh, also the Danelectro French Toast Octave Distortion is pretty rad. It's more in the extreme fuzz territory because it's an octave fuzz, but it sounds fantastic and has a flip switch to disengage the octave (and it makes a pretty good basic fuzz without the octave).

• Members

I used to not like fuzz, based upon my experience with fuzz pedals that I had. Now I have 5 fuzz pedals and love the different flavors. Buying a cheap fuzz may not really show you whether you like fuzz of not. You may just end up not liking that particular cheap fuzz. The Barber Trifecta is my current fave fuzz. The Skreddy Lunar Module does a great range between distortion and fuzz. Check out Hiwatt Bob's fuzz comparisons.

• Members

Just sold my SWTOR account so I have some more cash to play with. Maybe even booteek style cash. I don't know how you guys keep track of all the different pedals...it must take dogged determination.

Thanks

Dan

Years of flipping gear is how I keep track hahaha. Have you listened to any clips yet based off the suggestions people gave you? If there was something cheap you liked, I'm sure we all can think of someone expensive versions! Haha

• Members

Big Muff seems to be too squished sounding.. I was just checking out the Fulltone Soulbender, and the Skreddy Lunar Module. Soulbender sounds like it would be more useable for me personally, anything come close without the booteek price tags? Fulltone 69 it isnt bad either!

• Members

used big muff would be a good place to start. for a little more than 50 you can find a black russian muff thats got the old green muff inside it. They are decent. If you want something that can do od / distortion and fuzz then a Black Forest would be worth checking out. It's about double your budget though (but well worth it).

• Members

Big Muff seems to be too squished sounding.. I was just checking out the Fulltone Soulbender, and the Skreddy Lunar Module. Soulbender sounds like it would be more useable for me personally, anything come close without the booteek price tags? Fulltone 69 it isnt bad either!

If I remember right, forum member Aaron SS here might make a clone of the Soul bender? Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but give him a shout. Very reasonable prices, and his builds are immaculate!

• Members

for a different AND REALLY CHEAP answer, try a Guyatone TZ2....they drift thru ebey for $30 all the time.

As with ANY recomendation, listen to clips first...find ones that use a similar guitar and amp to your setup, as pedals can have vastly different results with different gear, espec fuz, imo.

• Members

de Lisle Fuzz.

No, it isn't $50, but if you can save a few bucks a week, you could afford it. Hand-made silicon fuzz from an awesome builder and a great sounding fuzz. Once I bought, I haven't looked for anymore fuzz pedals.

Archived