Ampeg V4 not working! confusion!

JMR

• Members

So, I got this ampeg V4 a little ago.

Sound was decent, but the output was pretty low b/c the tubes were old.

Well, after a few weeks of having it, I flipped on the amp and got that scratchy, very low sustain, dying-battery sound.

I'm not sure if I did something to cause this or not.

The new tubes I ordered arrived today. Nice quality 6L6GC - two tung sol SRs and two SED black labels and a 12DW7. Didn't fix the problem. Tried a mix of 7027A and the new tubes, still there. Swapped out the preamp tubes for ones I had in my peavey that are under a year old. Nope. I ran the sound out through the extension speaker output and the sound was just fine, no problems at all.

Where could the issue lie? I'm at a loss! Any other trouble shooting I could do?

• Members

I don't think that's it. But the fuse I replaced it with is 3 amp and it requires 6 amp.

Now, when I turn it on, the sound is normal for like... 25 sec, then back to crap. switch channels, same deal.

• Members

Caps very well may be the culprit. I had a '73 V4 for 8 years or so and replaced the caps (including the originals) twice, once because
it sounded like there was a constant thunderstorm in the amp

:eek::lol:

That is what my '72 VT-22 is doing. It that a pricey fix?

• Members

Thunderstorm isn't the problem. Some of these sound like gradual things. My problem just popped up.

also, the fuse that was originally in the amp was 6 amps. I through in a 3 amp for 5 minutes to see if a fuse was the issue.

• Members

Fuses don't affect the sound, they either let the juice in or they don't.

Your incorrect fuse (too low value) won't make it sound bad, but it will blow early.

Worse is too large a value, because it will not blow when it should, and therefore will not do its job of protecting expensive parts of the amp from frying.

That's all fuses are: 50 cent devices that prevent damage to $500 devices.

• Members

rocker switches were the problem!!! Very finicky... speaking of which, how can I address that?

in particular, the mid-switch. unless I firmly press it to ULTRA-HI, the amp gives me the dying battery sound.

Archived