Tell me about the RE-20

Snufkino

• Members

Gigged with a RE201 for years, the RE20 was a god send. Yes the reverb isnt to everyones liking but it does emulate the original reverb well. Its a great unit and has the Greenwood and Franklin seals of approval, so it must be great... right?

• Members

Gigged with a RE201 for years, the RE20 was a god send. Yes the reverb isnt to everyones liking but it does emulate the original reverb well. Its a great unit and has the Greenwood and Franklin seals of approval, so it must be great... right?

Yes, IMO, the funny thing is that people have put those tape units up on such a pedestal as "Holy Grails" of tone, yet they get the RE-20 or even the Boss DD-20 and complain about the Tape mode simulation. I had an original 301 Space Echo in pristine condition, and side by side - the Boss {censored} NAILS the tone. The truth is that those tape units (in good condition with new tapes) sounded pretty damn clean. If it's WARMTH you want (or "dark" echoes) stick with analog delays, not TAPE or TAPE simulations, at least when it comes to Space Echoes, I'm not speaking for EchoPlexes...

• Members

i personally love mine. the tone is amazing and is perfect for psychedelic music especially. I use mine at every gig i've played so far. the tap tempo is also a great function and the self oscillation foot switch thing is really fun. i personally love it for sound effects and stuff like that, but i use it as a regular delay also. If it had a tap divide function, it would be my perfect delay.

• Members

I used to have an RE-501 which I loved. It being mechanical, something was always going wrong with it! Since there was no way to put it into a standby mode and my band used it for summed vocal delays, it would always crap out during practice after an hour or two...probably due to heat and humidity. The RE-20 gets 99% there, and it's as reliable as your favorite dog! No complaints!

• Members

Yes, IMO, the funny thing is that people have put those tape units up on such a pedestal as "Holy Grails" of tone, yet they get the RE-20 or even the Boss DD-20 and complain about the Tape mode simulation. I had an original 301 Space Echo in pristine condition, and side by side - the Boss {censored} NAILS the tone. The truth is that those tape units (in good condition with new tapes) sounded pretty damn clean. If it's WARMTH you want (or "dark" echoes) stick with analog delays, not TAPE or TAPE simulations, at least when it comes to Space Echoes, I'm not speaking for EchoPlexes...

This. It sounds like a clean, well-maintained RE-201. My only gripe is the self-oscillation isn't quite there. But then again, I may be used to the self-oscillation on one particular RE-201. Every vintage Space Echo I've played sounds subtly different.

Archived