Compressor? (Could I benefit from one?)

• Members

So, as you might be able to tell from my signature, I've been sporting a fairly large board lately. I'm definitely digging my clean sound, but I was wondering but I was wondering if I would benefit in any way from a compressor (ie. adding more sparkle and body to my tone).

• Members

laughing stock is such an amazing album.... and that's coming from a heavy rock kinda guy.

anyways, here's my take on compressors:

Clean tones are awesome, this is what they are made for (guitar pedal compressors anyway) some do the squash sound well (not my favourite) and some do a sparkly jangly feel that keeps your tone from sounding squishy. I had a philosophers tone , it was great... I then sold it for a diamond comp and loved the diamond even more.... especially with my diamond delay (those two are amazing together) and modulation.

It really improves the feel of your guitar, every note feels easier, you have more sustain, and it adds a shine to your cleans.... however even the best comps can add a lot of noise...and I really didn't like what it did when I mixed it with my dirt section.

I ended up selling my diamond compressor. What I do now instead is run a clean boost. The boost mixes much better with my dirt section and basically what it's doing is driving my amp enough to give me some tube compression. It adds a bit of overdrive but I like the way it feels.

I now have a switching unit, so I dont have to tapdance on stage... since then I have considered getting a compressor again for clean tones, but I don't feel it's totally necessary.

If you're unable to run an amp loud enough to get natural compression, I'd go for one. Hell I'd go for anything I thought I would remotely like because I can always sell it. right?

Archived