Battery/Power supply Qs

munizfire

• Members

:wave:

I've got a few questions, and again, some might sound pretty stupid, but I'm really still a noob when it comes to pedals.

1- If I'm using a Power supply, and a battery is still connected, will leaving all the pedals plugged in (input jack) drain the battery? I was thinking it might be useful to have the batteries in there in case the PS fails or something :idk::lol:

2- Pros/Cons of power supplies vs batteries? I'm more than happy with my 1spot combo pack, but I know of certain people who just refuse to use PS.

• Members

:wave:

I've got a few questions, and again, some might sound pretty stupid, but I'm really still a noob when it comes to pedals.

1- If I'm using a Power supply, and a battery is still connected, will leaving all the pedals plugged in (input jack) drain the battery? I was thinking it might be useful to have the batteries in there in case the PS fails or something
:idk::lol:

2- Pros/Cons of power supplies vs batteries? I'm more than happy with my 1spot combo pack, but I know of certain people who just refuse to use PS.

1- Usually but totally depends on the design. Always worth checking with the manual or person who built it.

2- Having a battery option is very important IMHO. No issues with noise, daisy chaining compatibility, cords/mess, and makes things portable (especially if you are using a battery powered amp and playing outside) and general ease. Sometimes, depending on pedal design, having an adapter can add more headroom which may be desired.

There is a bizarre movement of small number pedal builders who are very against it, exceedingly abrasive and aggressively so in their FAQ and the like pages to the point where I pass by their products completely. It's one thing to not offer it due to design (too small a enclosure) or just feel it's 'better' to not offer it to do power demands of the device - another thing entirely to be militantly green and make decisions for the buyer. Forcing their values on you, so to speak.

• Members

If the power supply is plugged in the battery SHOULD be disconnected, and won't drain.

As far as psu's...not all power supplies are created equal. I strongly recommend isolated power supplies like the trex fueltank jr/chameleon (not the standard), PP2+, bbe supa charger, cioks or the cae/mxr MC403.

You spend thousands on guitars/amps...hundreds on pedals, why not spend $150-200 for safe/clean power.

Digital switching psu's onespots/poweralls have caused me issues in the past (namely noise and

Things like the dc brick or standard fueltank are NOT isolated despite their appearance, and are just as bad as the others.

As for battery vs psu...I only use batteries for old fuzz designs (fuzz face, tonebender...muffs aren't as picky). Those old fuzzes were designed with a battery in mind as the main (or only) source of power, and can sound different (and sometimes worse) when plugged into a psu.

For modern fuzz, OD/distortion, modulation, delay or verb, especially anything digital, it's all power supply. No reason not to.

• Members

Yeah, I hate the anti-battery {censored}. There are so many occasions where I don't need a whole pedalboard. It's much easier to grab a couple pedals, throw them in a bag and then set them up on the floor without having to deal with power supplies and extension cords.

Archived