Vox AC15C1

echodeluxe

• Members

:cry: its so beautiful

i need to get rid of my classic 50 god dammit.

i played one the other day in the music store i got the ehx adapter for my holy grail. god it was just great. plenty loud, great breakup, the trem was nice, and the size is perfect. ugghhhh

anyone here got one?

lg-ac15c1-angle.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want one. I keep seeing them pop up used around here for $350 or so, but I never seem to have the money at the time or I miss them.

I won't pay new prices for one, but I'd buy a used one all day long. I think they sound great.

• Members

I've had one since they came out...love it.

I actually dig the sound of the stock tubes, but they are pretty noisy.

Any rec's for higher quality replacements that sound similar?

Yea.. stock tubes are not bad at all in regards to sound.. they just went bad really fast in my amp and several others I know. The amp sounds 10x with jjs though... which is only a $50 upgrade.. and it's definitely worth $50.

• Members

Sold a Fender HRD to get one of these last summer. It is a bit noisy but I'm not picky so I can handle it. Tried out a ac30c2 also but the weight of that damn thing would add to the already bad back I've had for years. Had to get this amp instead. :facepalm: Although, I did borrow an AC4tv from a pal and I absolutely LOVED that amp.

• Members

Ditto on the JJs...I have an AC30, but I'm sure the same applies...an upgrade to a set of JJs was a major improvement over the stock tubes. There is someone on the internet (I can't remember who, as if that's helpful:facepalm:) who sells matched tube sets for particular amps, and can even match them to if you want early breakup, more clean headroom, etc. That's who I got the set for my AC30 from.

Also, on down the road, you can try swapping speakers out, which should bring you even more :love: for it. Any of the Celestion Blue types--actual Celestions, Weber Blue Dogs, Eminence Red Fangs (I have the last two in my AC30) should suit it perfectly.

• Members

Ditto on the JJs...I have an AC30, but I'm sure the same applies...an upgrade to a set of JJs was a major improvement over the stock tubes. There is someone on the internet (I can't remember who, as if that's helpful:facepalm:) who sells matched tube sets for particular amps, and can even match them to if you want early breakup, more clean headroom, etc. That's who I got the set for my AC30 from.

Also, on down the road, you can try swapping speakers out, which should bring you even more
:love:
for it. Any of the Celestion Blue types--actual Celestions, Weber Blue Dogs, Eminence Red Fangs (I have the last two in my AC30) should suit it perfectly.

Eurotubes is where I got tubes for my AC30

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_submenu&category_id=130

• Members

I got one a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. I think it's (some) overdrives, rather than fuzzes it has a problem with; I use the normal channel for my pedals, and it sounds fine to me, if a little more trebly than I'm used to. Superfuzz set to about 9.30 through it is one of the best fuzz sounds I've ever got. Was between the AC15 and a Princeton, but the Princeton is twice the price in the UK.

• Members

I'm thinking of downsizing my AC30 to a AC15 myself. Wouldn't be bad, alot of the gigs I play I'm miced up anyways, and I remember going to an ampfest with someone who was playing an AC15 Heritage that I tinkered around with for a bit. Great tones regardless, but more play in the volume level.

They're pretty awesome sounding amps. But they're really awesome with those alnico speakers.

• Members

There's always been a part of me that's wanted an AC15. Maybe I'll break one day and pick one up.

I'll get a Vox-ish amp again one day, had an AC30CC for years but my Traynor was the better amp so the Vox got the boot, but they're great amps.

Which traynor, just curious?

• Members

There's always been a part of me that's wanted an AC15. Maybe I'll break one day and pick one up.

Which traynor, just curious?

It's a Traynor YGL-3, from the late 60's/early 70's. "Better" might not have been the best adjective, because I really dig the Vox amps and they're voiced quite differently. The Traynor handled pedals way better and I preferred the voicing of the reverb better. The YGL's voiced similar to a Fender Twin but sounds more full whereas the Twin can sound a bit too sterile to me, I think the EL34s in the Traynor give it a bit of chime that the Fenders lack. Eventually I'll get an AC30 or Trinity TC-15, those Fawn AC30's are gorgeous. On a side note, I tried the new Traynor YGL-2 today, such a great sounding amp right around the $900 mark (and hand built in Canada).

Archived