V making whacky noises with a Russian

• Members

Pedal that is. Just 5 minutes of him messing with this weird thing and explaining some stuff to me.

[video=youtube;zO1u0hGUeFI]

On top of that he gave me a boost pedal to demo.

8df7521e.jpg

I apologize to those waiting for the whammy pedal demo especially since the new one is coming out. I've been swamped with school, and finding a new bassist for my band in time for our Webster hall show in June. I'll get on it I swear. If you really want to hear it go on my YouTube in my sig and you can hear it on both vids of my band playing. Also heard through the grapevine some clips of the Dr. Scientist The Elements will be getting some attention. On top of that I'll get on the Blakemore effects mustang clips soon too.

• Members

Did it have to be modded to have regular 5" jacks? I've noticed that a lot of that Russian/Soviet gear has the weirdest audio jacks with 5 pins or something totally over the top.

I read something about this awhile back, they used completely different jacks on their guitars as well.

• Members

he had a drink in a bar in poland, russian was sitting next to him and told him of a top secret pedal factory in Chernobyl. 10 betrayals and gunfights later, here we are.

There was only one betrayal and subsequent gunfight. All of my opponents were dead after that.

• Members

oops, I meant 1/4" jacks.

Yes, it has 5-pin connectors on the other side and two 1/4" jacks seem to have been added at some point. Apparently the soviets mandated that all guitars/electronic musical instruments be made with 5-pin connectors to be technically superior to the standard western 1/4" jacks. The thing was...they didn't really have anything to do with the extra 3 pins because most of the equipment was in mono, anyway.

Apparently there are a few examples of soviet-made guitars that do have some interesting stereo capabilities via the 5-pin jack, though.

• Members

Still would like to know how you got it

Oh, I just bought it from someone here a while back. Don't remember who, actually.

I mean um...well there was this beautiful spy, you see.

• Members

Yes, it has 5-pin connectors on the other side and two 1/4" jacks seem to have been added at some point. Apparently the soviets mandated that all guitars/electronic musical instruments be made with 5-pin connectors to be technically superior to the standard western 1/4" jacks. The thing was...they didn't really have anything to do with the extra 3 pins because most of the equipment was in mono, anyway.

Apparently there are a few examples of soviet-made guitars that do have some interesting stereo capabilities via the 5-pin jack, though.

not really, the 5-pin connector or DIN plug (Deutsche Industrie Norm) was the german standard plug, it was used on most home audio things, first in tube radios, later on in record players, tape recorders, TVs and throughout the nineties on VCRs, this standard plug was also used on musical equipment, organs, amps, guitars but this changed in the early sixties as the 1/4" jack and XLR became the standard for musical equipment.

DDR, Eastern Europe and Soviet Russia continued using the DIN plugs as the common connector for musical equipment

• Members

not really, the 5-pin connector or DIN plug (Deutsche Industrie Norm) was the german standard plug, it was used on most home audio things, first in tube radios, later on in record players, tape recorders, TVs and throughout the nineties on VCRs, this standard plug was also used on musical equipment, organs, amps, guitars but this changed in the early sixties as the 1/4" jack and XLR became the standard for musical equipment.

DDR, Eastern Europe and Soviet Russia continued using the DIN plugs as the common connector for musical equipment

DINs were pretty popular in professional audio too - When I used to work with marketing and post production houses all the beta machines and other equipment had those connectors. (Beta didn't lose out in the pro video world :p)

Archived