Lace sensor wtf....halp...

Stevenglass

• Members

So i just got my new lace sensor(blue 12.9k i think), soldered it in the same spot as the neck pickup was from my strat, and soldered the ground and shield together....Okay, the neck by itself sounds great...the middle postion??? Wtf!! It sounds more trebly then my bridge pickup. Wtf happened?

• Members

You have problems with your phase. Nothing wrong with the output. This means you have to desolder both leads and solder them back with the ground cable going where the signal is and the signal cable to ground. It might work this way but it can be a lot noisier.

• Members

You have problems with your phase. Nothing wrong with the output. This means you have to desolder both leads and solder them back with the ground cable going where the signal is and the signal cable to ground. It might work this way but it can be a lot noisier.

Whoa this sounds like it would work but i don't know what you are talking about.

Let me tell you what i know.

The pickup has a red wire green wire and white wire. The white wire is ground, red is hot, green is shield. I twisted the green and white together and soldered them onto the pot ground. The red i put in the same spot as the hot wire from my strat pickup.

• Members

If I'm understanding your question, it's probably wound the opposite direction than the stock pickups, thus out of phase when used together. Disconnect it, connect the shield to the opposite lead, and run that to ground, and the one that is now run to ground to the switch.

Caveat: I have no experience with lace sensors, but this is how it works for regular single coils... so I can only assume that works for lace sensors, too, but I'm not quite sure how they are wound.

or are you saying that the middle pickup, now, by itself, sounds different than it did before, not when used in combination with the other pickups?

• Members

If I'm understanding your question, it's probably wound the opposite direction than the stock pickups, thus out of phase when used together. Disconnect it, connect the shield to the opposite lead, and run that to ground, and the one that is now run to ground to the switch.

Caveat: I have no experience with lace sensors, but this is how it works for regular single coils... so I can only assume that works for lace sensors, too, but I'm not quite sure how they are wound.

or are you saying that the middle pickup, now, by itself, sounds different than it did before, not when used in combination with the other pickups?

Damn.....i feel so stupid. Could you just tell me what colors go where hahaha.

I'm saying in the neck, sounds {censored}ing good. The neck and mid, sound like {censored}ing trebly butthole when used together.

• Members

In short: swap the wires with eachother. The other possibilitie is a bad solder joint. You know you can test it without restringing your guitar? Wire everything up and knock a screwdriver tip against the magnets while your amp is on. You will hear if there is a thin sound coming out of the pickups.

• Members

In short: swap the wires with eachother. The other possibilitie is a bad solder joint. You know you can test it without restringing your guitar? Wire everything up and knock a screwdriver tip against the magnets while your amp is on. You will hear if there is a thin sound coming out of the pickups.

Yep. I knew about the screwdriver technique. You guys were right. I flipped white and red wires and it worked.

Archived