pick suggestions?

JMR

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

tortex.jpg

THIS.

I love the TIII's. A few years back, I had been using the yellow tortex for a loooong time. I got tired of em and tried damn near every pick I could, with the exception of the really spendy ones because I need picks that are allowed to get lost, and are easily replaceable, ya know? Tried V-Picks, all the Dunlops and a whole bunch of other things.

I settled on the green T III because the tortex grip is awesome, it's thick enough to give you some nice thwack if you want, it's thin enough to give a little, it's thin enough to yield excellent pick-scrapes, it's durable enough that pick-scrapes don't cut big notches into the side (unlike V-Picks which get way chewed up by scrapes), and that slightly pointier tip makes fast up/down palm muting parts a little easier and seemingly tighter sounding to my ears.

I ordered a gross and have been happy as can be. I'm into my 2nd back of 72 though, so a re-up is coming down the line. I lose the {censored} outta some picks.

• Members

They look pretty cool, and I like the size / shape better than some of the other V-Picks... but at 1.5mm, it still seems like it would feel pretty thick for someone who was used to using 1mm thick picks and thinner.
:idk:

The funny part is I felt when I first got it like it was totally insubstantial since I mainly play 6mm-9mm picks :lol:

I'd really suggest at least calling him and asking if he's got something you can try, it's a very well shaped and great playing pick. See about a Euro II at the same time for bonus points that will let you upgrade your banhammer to +3 and hit magical creatures more reliably

• Members

erskin like those big picks too. to me it feels like im playing guitar with a tv remote or something.

I can't do the Psycho Shredder, which is about 6mm and really, really sharply pointed. Like playing with a sharpened pencil, apparently some people really like them but too much point for me. I recently just gave up completely and got the insanity, which is about 12mm thick, and it feels like borrowing somebody else's thumb to play with at first but it's surprisingly easy to adapt to (doesn't exactly hurt that I spend most of my time in the 6mm-9mm range and one of my go-to picks is the Colossal, the intermediary step between the ~6mm Psycho and the ~12mm insanity).

I like them because of the bevel and the effortless way they play - a guitar string moves out of the way precisely as you want it to. Fits my playing style really well, I have never liked give in my picks (but hated the way Delrin felt with the Dunlop 3mm picks) and the v-picks from 1.5mm and up are perfect for that (and Blue Chip, though really expensive, similar no-give-at-all at 1.5mm or so). He makes lighter ones for people who do like pick flex, they're cheap too. Not "pack of Fenders" cheap, but dude does make 'em by hand.

Edit: This is a Really Good Cheap Pick - D'Andrea Pro Plec Standard 351. Still thicker than light pick players might like, but they've got some flex.

• Members

Ha ha! I have a V-pick "Insanity" - 11 mm! On a reso, the bigger the better. Also like Wegens.

Isn't that thing nuts? I love it.

I have always meant to try Wegens - I've got tons of picks from different small companies who make specialty picks. Four or so Dugain picks (one brass mini-dug, one custom thicker acetate mini-dug with no forefinger sculpture, one custom thicker water buffalo horn mini-dug with no forefinger sculpture, and a normal 3-4mm thickness mini-dug water buffalo horn with no forefinger sculpture), about 9 Surfpick lignum vitae picks (he did a custom model for me in custom thickness, and in addition to that I have several of the Jazz III style ones - really neat tone, never used another wood pick I like but these are amazing). Two Blue Chips, both one of a kind through a friend who's also a little nutty for the perfect plectrum :lol: And, I do believe one of everything Vinni's ever made, in buffed and unbuffed form if applicable, 1.5mm and bigger. I love me some v-picks!

Still want to try:

Red Bear - Just heard they're really nice, but I don't see a shape I particularly love :idk:

Wegen - been around for a long time, looks like a comfy shape, good thicknesses

Hufschmid Guitars Switzerland picks - I actually have a pick on order from them, but at $40 a piece, they give Blue Chip a serious run for the money. But that is as much exchange rate as anything else, and shipping overseas. 12-13mm Gigantic Drop on the way. :lol:

Some of the new Dava picks, I used to really like their Yellow and Red variable grip picks. Didn't care for the solid-colored green ones.

• Members

Jazz III XL? I used those for a bit before I moved to ordinary Jazz IIIs.

I now (for a few years now) use Picks and Stones agate picks (mostly) and a Red Bear Lil Jazzer (sometimes), but I don't think those are quite what you want...

• Members

Red Bear - Just heard they're really nice, but I don't see a shape I particularly love
:idk:

'Really nice' is a good way to put it. I tend to think of them as being the 'deluxe' version of typical plastic picks. They simply have a very nice tone to them, though what I like most is the feel and grip. Though I like mine very much, gemstone seems to be my sound, so I more often use the Red Bear because I need the grip (not agate's strong point!) than because I feel like using that sound. But that doesn't say much about the Red Bear. Durability is variable, but I've had mine nearly two years and used it a fair bit; no perceivable wear or warping.

Shapes-wise though, I do agree. If they didn't make the Jazz III shape, I'm not sure I'd have been interested. I would let you sell me the idea of V-Picks, but I'd probably indulge given funds. They look fun.

• Members

Hm, well, I dunno how to sell you on them, really - maybe take advantage of the current special, the "starter pack" at http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=115&page= which has a bunch of different representative shapes from the standard lineup. If you have a particular shape you are totally in love with, you might check out his range and see if you can find one analogous to it. I used to like Fender Mediums but always felt they were flimsy as heck (this was before I switched to Big Stubby picks, which always felt like a compromise and slipped pretty bad in my hands, but at least they were precise and thick). I mentioned that to him and he told me to give the Tradition Lite a shot. It's 1.5mm thick, comes in a few colors now, I got mine in blue. I love it! It's got his picks' sound, and a shape that just about everyone is comfortable/familiar with.

Tell you what, though, if you want the real deal, Vinni is the guy to talk to. Skype him if you don't have international calling, or email him. Number is 1-615-927-5989 - and talk to him a bit about what you like about your current favorite picks. He knows his product range better than anyone else and he will be able to tell you which of his picks he thinks would make you happy. He's also pretty famous for little extras, which I've always thought was cool. If you place a decent order with him you usually get something you didn't expect as a "try this out" kind of thing, just neat of him. That's how I got the Venom and it has become a favorite, but that was also on an order for an Insanity and a buffed and unbuffed Smoky Mountains color Dimension Junior, so...

• Members

I really like these:

Photoon03-05-2012at0950.jpg

I've used pretty much every other pick out there, I liked V-picks but they're a bit pricey, Tortex's are nice too but had a little too much midrange for me. Then I found a cheapy celluloid pick at the bottom of my ZT's gig bag (from the previous owner) had a bit of a play and it was great. So I did a bit of snooping around and these are meant to be the best. They feel really nice and have a really sweet sound.

• Members

V-picks Tradition Lite. Have had it for over a year, still looks new. Sounds great, good grip. $4.00/pick isn't cheap, but doesn't break the bank. I also got 2 Redbear picks, but they are expensive.

Archived