I think i almost just got played on eBay..

gambit

• Members

Seller lists something starting at 99p, i contact him same day and offer him about 20% over the going price because he is local and i can collect with cash.

The seller says he feels awkward about selling it privately when there's a couple of bids of

• Members

Maybe because you let him know that you were willing to pay over the odds, he assumed you were in a bad way for it and thought he could squeeze a few quid more out of you by auction fever?

Try to do a favour and they just try to take the piss.

• Members
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Wait, what? No, so sorry, you were simply outbid. You can't bid on your *own* freaking auction.
If this were possible, everyone would do it, and nothing would ever get sold.

It's called "shill bidding".

The worst the seller could do is have a buddy put in the shill bid, but in this case, the seller would have to be a mind reader.

• Members

:facepalm:
Wait, what? No, so sorry, you were simply outbid. You can't bid on your *own* freaking auction.

If this were possible, everyone would do it, and nothing would ever get sold.

It's called "shill bidding".

The worst the seller could do is have a buddy put in the shill bid, but in this case, the seller would have to be a mind reader.

Except that it is possible and people do it a lot.

• Members

my generally experience is that things are really weird and random like in some instances people will pay 200 or 400 for the same thing. Just play the waiting game till the deal seems pretty good, and if it never gets there let it go there are tons of deals on other things.

Archived