Thinking of going from stompboxes to a M13, thoughts?

• Members

Here's my chain: Crowther Hotcake, CMATMODS Signa Comp-Drive, Creation Audio Labs MK 4:23 clean boost, Snarling Dogs Black Bawl Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, Boss OC-2, Boss DD-5, Visual Sound Visual Volume, Maxon AD9 Pro to amp. Thinking about keeping the overdrives, clean boost, and volume pedal and replacing everthing else with a M13. Thinking I might get a cleaner signal by taking out all the cables. Don't really need all the extra effects just thought it might simplify and make a cleaner rig. Would I be amiss to do this? I've never been much on multi effects but I heard this one is pretty nice. Thoughts?

• Members

ya I'd do it.. as long as you keep the dirt and boosts... you don't seem to have any other pedals that the m13 wouldn't do just as good if not better/expand on.

I'm not a fan of the all in ones but I hear nothing but good things from them... might want to keep the octave too.

edit and yes I'd go for the m9 as well.

• Members

You'll get a lot more effects but the quality isnt as good as the individual stompboxes. I have an HD500 and it has the same effects. After using it for over a year here's my thoughts on the effects:

The only decent overdrives and distortions I like are the tube, tubescreamer, and classic distortion out of all the ones on there. I'd say the only one that sounds accurate though is the tubescreamer.

The delays and reverb are okay but not great with the exception of the particle verb and the octo verb.

The modulation effects are okay but nothing that stands out from other pedals.

I've been playing for over 30 years and have played semi-pro and a LOT of pedals, amps, and guitars. Just my take.

• Members

It's a pretty awesome tool to have, but you might be able to get by with a M9 as well. M13 does have the luxury of having more switches as far as looping and such. The modulation, filter, delay, and reverb models definitely make it a great deal for the price.

• Members

I see people saying an HD500 will do the same thing. What about an X3 Live? I have one of those sitting around gathering dust, are the M13 effects the same as those? Can I use a X3 Live in the same fashion as a M13? I really don't like the X3 Live in front of an amp very much at all but thats because I don't know how to use the effects without the amp simulation...

• Members

i run an m9, hot cake, vintage big muff and a pog2. probably gonna sell the pog 2 soon as i barely use it.

there are pros and cons. pros are that my rig is really cheap, sounds pretty good and i only have to worry about a few pedals.

cons are that it doesn't sound as good as a bunch of individual pedals that specialize in one thing. i would use the delays if they were stand-alone but most of the other stuff in it is not great (but more than useable).

personally if i had more time and money i'd probably just put together a big board with a ton crazy routing scenarios with all teh best stuff. but i'm a busy girl in a busy world so it's just easier for me to half-ass it and worry about playing.

• Members

I see people saying an HD500 will do the same thing. What about an X3 Live? I have one of those sitting around gathering dust, are the M13 effects the same as those? Can I use a X3 Live in the same fashion as a M13? I really don't like the X3 Live in front of an amp very much at all but thats because I don't know how to use the effects without the amp simulation...

I'm sure you can get all of that out of the X3 Live.

• Members

From what I see, the effects themselves aren't touted as M-series effects, so while they'll certainley sound similar they'll be using older modeling algorithms and won't quite approach the cleanness of the newer models. However I am seeing a v2.0 update which does give the X3 a few of the M-series filter and modulation sounds, though I'm not sure if they're being produced out of the unit with the same fidelity as an M-series or HD multi pedal (possibly due to processing power, if anything).

• Members

How do the distortion sounds on the M series compare to the DM-4 distortion modeller? Because that thing has blown me away, personally I prefer its overdrive sounds to the pedals it replaced on my board.

• Members

I thought the M-13 sounded good for most things, and it had a lot of variety. Really the only real weakness I found was the rotary stuff like Leslie and Univibe. While not every effect is stellar, there's enough variety that you should be able to find some flavor of all the basics that you like.

• Members

i was looking at the M13 and HD500. i didn't get the M13, i got the HD500 because the filters were WAY better (and more of them) compared to the M13. delays, reverbs and whatnot were similar on both. i'm using my boogie combo for dirt most of the time, so the distortions didn't really matter to me.

• Members

I went from an M13 to an M9 to make room for other pedals. Eventually I hope to go from and M9 to individual pedals. One benefit I took from having either of those units as that it was a good indicator of what effects I'm realistically going to use. I thought I was going to use every effect in that box and my band is going to be awesome! But in the end I just use reverb, delay and chorus.

• Members

After using it for a couple years I realized that I only used one scene. I added two or three dirt boxes in front of it and only used red, green and blue effects so I just went back to using a magicstomp. Sounds better!

• Members

i was looking at the M13 and HD500. i didn't get the M13, i got the HD500 because the filters were WAY better (and more of them) compared to the M13. delays, reverbs and whatnot were similar on both. i'm using my boogie combo for dirt most of the time, so the distortions didn't really matter to me.

According to Line 6, both the M-series and the HD-series features the same effects. The processing power definitely differs between the two, if that makes a difference.

• Members

I went from pedals to M13 back to pedals

Did the M13 for about a year, and while the presets and routing options were amazing, I just wanted better sound quality and sounds I could only get from individual pedals.

That said, my other guitar play uses an M13 exclusively (dirt and all) and it works great for him.

Archived