Selling stuff is so stressful.

• Members

I've had hundreds of people message me over something i'm selling, ask me to take a million pics, ask a million questions, and always flake out. Jesus. I needed to vent. Party'd the pain away tonight though. I slipped into some five inch heals and just did the party rock.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

werd.

Everytime I ever had an emergency sale, that but with extra lowballing too.

It's ridiculous the way people are. It irks me the most when they can't just say "Thanks, not interested". They just don't reply. It takes 2 seconds you bum.

• Members

PITA buyers are the worst. I had a dude send me money for a pedal Tuesday at 5am, posts in my TGP FS thread at 3:45pm saying he's never received confirmation that I received the money. I haven't gotten a PM from any other potential buyers since...

• Members

I just wrapped up a flake-out on TalkBass. Thought I was making $450, ended up with nothing more than annoying PMs.

"Hey, I'm interested in these two pedals, got pics?"

~I send pics (pedals all mint and have all the fixings.)

"Got the pics, forgot to ask if you were interested in trades, I have lots of pedals blah blah blah."

~I politely decline and tell him that I'm only interested in cash.

"(No response)"

~The next night I ask if he's still interested.

"(No response)" and i see that he had been online.

~I tell him he's got until noon the next day to respond or I'm calling the deal off.

"You're moronic for thinking that I was committed to buying."

~I remind him that it's good policy to let people know that you're not interested in pedals that you expressed interest in and requested pictures of, rather than just stopping all response which merits negative feedback (although I never gave him any negative feedback.)

"I admit that's the 'best case scenario' but you're still moronic for assuming, and your negative feedback comment rubbed me the wrong way."

~I point out that if he's admittedly not willing to conduct sales in a manner befitting the "best case scenario" then negative feedback must not be a serious concern.

"I tried to be nice but you're a moron/douche/dickweed and (using his actual words here) I wish we were in the People's Republic so we could hash this out in person."

~I try to give him a play-by-play of how he's in the wrong (especially after he admitted that he was) but at this point I'm pretty sure he's got chronic trollitis.

ATTENTION ALIEN RACES MONITORING OUR PLANET: KILL US.

• Members

I just wrapped up a flake-out on TalkBass. Thought I was making $450, ended up with nothing more than annoying PMs.

"Got the pics, forgot to ask if you were interested in trades, I have lots of pedals blah blah blah."

"(No response)"

~I tell him he's got until noon the next day to respond or I'm calling the deal off.

~I remind him that it's good policy to let people know that you're not interested in pedals that you expressed interest in and requested pictures of, rather than just stopping all response which merits negative feedback (although I never gave him any negative feedback.)

"I admit that's the 'best case scenario' but you're still moronic for assuming, and your negative feedback comment rubbed me the wrong way."

~I point out that if he's admittedly not willing to conduct sales in a manner befitting the "best case scenario" then negative feedback must not be a serious concern.

"I tried to be nice but you're a moron/douche/dickweed and (using his actual words here) I wish we were in the People's Republic so we could hash this out in person."

~I try to give him a play-by-play of how he's in the wrong (especially after he admitted that he was) but at this point I'm pretty sure he's got chronic trollitis.

Nope. You never had a deal, and you made a faulty assumption AND you left negative feedback.

• Members

This is the point I realised you were wrong, unless your cliff notes version of the conversation omits some major extra details.

• Members

"(No response)"

You thought you had a deal just by this? Really?

• Members

How about flakey sellers ?

I shall not name names but I have two recent examples, one on HC and one on TGP.

The first guy, on TGP, didn't pay the $5 so he cannot post ads, instead he goes around in every thread saying he has a certain set of boutique strat pickups for sale. I pm him and he's pretty slow to respond but does get back to me. He gives me a good but not outrageously cheap price. I agree to it and after a day or two of waiting for him to respond to PMs he tells me he checked and he can probably get more for it. So unless I want to pay like $35 more he won't sell it to me.

The other guy here on HC, has a guitar for sale. It's definitely a good price but I saw one on ebay that ended with no bids at the same price, so it's definitely not outrageous either. I'm on the fence about buying it so I offer $50 less just to see what happens. He says no, which is fine, and I decide to pick it up anyway. I let him know immediately after he turns down my offer, but now all of a sudden I'm second in line and he'll let me know if I get it. Okay, still fine. The next day the same guitar, same pics is on ebay for $200 more buy it now.

THere was actually another guy, I can't complain too much because I sought him out on ebay. He had a guitar for sale that was also at a decent price on ebay with no bids. I messaged him and let him know I would bid on the last day so please don't end the auction. he said oh no, i won't end it. a few hours later he ends it. I message him and he says he needs like at least 800 for the guitar (300 more than the opening bid on the auction). i say okay, i'll give you 700. he says okay and sends an invoice from an account with a woman's name on it (his ebay has a man's name). in addition, he sent me a message saying he needs to invoice me for $720. I told him no so he sent a second one back down to $700. I'm starting to get creeped out so I call the number he gave me. I feel like I'm talking to doc brown from back to the future, he's going in a million directions telling me about all his deals gone bad...I ask, will you ship tomorrow? since I'm feeling a little nervous at this point. He says no, I will need a week to wait for the paypal to clear. He tells me a story about some guy tried to rescind the payment after he shipped, but luckily he lied to the guy and didn't really ship when he said he did. So after hearing about three lies from this guy I'm done with this deal...

THE END

• Members

Yeah I've had some pretty {censored} dealings on CL over the past couple of weeks.

I'm selling my SP606, had 2 different guys tell me "they'll take it"....go to meet the first guy, doesn't show up. the second guy is supposed to meet me AT MY WORK so i take a lunch break around when he said he could be there...doesn't {censored}ing show up. just incredibly rude.

what's even more annoying is when someone is SELLING something and can't find the time to actually get up with me so I can give them my money!

• Members

I almost quit buying because i hate selling so much.

Selling locally almost always brings out the gypsy's. Throwing lowballs and getting angry when i tell them to {censored} off with their low balling asses. About once a year i get a decent sale.

• Members

^ I always make it my duty to tell lowballers to eat a dick. Some dude on here offered me like 55 dollars worth of stuff for 250 dollars worth of stuff.

Most of my flakes are on HC. I had 2 people bail on me just yesterday alone. Sorry bout the stories guys, and good luck selling yah stuff next time.

• Members

go to meet the first guy, doesn't show up.

This is my ultimate CL pet peeve. "Oh hey, here's my number, lets meet here, call me when you're close." Show up. Guy isn't there, call the number, no one picks up, wait, call again, still no one. 10 minutes later, drive home. Thanks for wasting my time and gas, asshole.

My best transactions have always been on HC, mostly because I don't have to drive anywhere except the post office after being paid.

• Members

Seriously though, I've had buyer problems with my last 2 eBay sales. My descriptions are always accurate and honest, and I even post videos of the item with HQ sound so the item can be heard. But both buyers have been dissatisfied with their items. I wish eBay had an optional feature that protected sellers so before a buyer bids they have to agree to not ask for refunds. Granted most buyers would be turned away before agreeing to those terms. But I would rather that my item didn't sell at all than have to deal with a return and lose money in shipping and fees.

And I know that eBay has a loose "Returns not accepted" feature, but it falls apart when the sale is above a certain amount.

• Members

CL has actually been good for me. A few flakes/tire kickers, but not to the point where we had a deal and they didn't show or try to come back with a lowball offer. I've gotten what I've asked for if not close to it and have met some seemingly decent people in the process. Even the trade offers I wasn't interested in have been reasonable.

I don't bother selling on eBay anymore unless it's something like books because of their system where eBay/PayPal waits to transfer money into your account well after the buyer receives it and then dings you with both PayPal and eBay fees. The only reason I could see using eBay for selling gear is if you're stuck in BFE and don't have a decent local CL or for some reason you don't want to use HC, ShortScale, TGP, etc.

• Members

I work in customer service, selling my music stuff is a breeze comparatively . I find it usually a positive experience buying and selling. I don't sweat the low ball offers because I low ball all the time, and sometimes sellers accept them. so I always low ball, they don't take it, okay I'll keep looking. I haven't had anyone get mad at me for not taking their offer, if I did I would just laugh at them.

• Members

the last couple of 'in person' deals ive done ive had to come out and say upfront, 'oh, and by the way if you show up with less than we agreed on i wont say a word. im just going to get back in my car and drive away.' they laughed but i guarantee at least one of them probably wouldve tried that {censored}.

Archived