Percocet Diaries Vol IV: Moar Music Docs

dap99

• Members

Some more Music Docs I've streamed:

Who Took the Bomp? Le Tigre on Tour - Former Bikini Kill lady, Catherine Hannah's new band. Kinda cool to see what this project is. I got kinda bored personally so I didn't finish it, but what I saw was cool. I'll have to go back and finish it. Her discussions around the pressure she felt when Bikini Kill got more and more popular were pretty cool. That phenomena where they got accused of selling out b/c various media chose them as the poster kids for the Riot Grrl movment. That always interests me.

Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt and the Magnetic Fields - This doc was ten years in the making. We have 69 Love Songs and I really dig his {censored}. He's a pretty interesting dude. He's pretty arrogant but I can't help but wonder how much of that is a self-protective measure to avoid relying on other people. IMO, he's a genius muscially. Such a versatile songwriter.

Rhyme and Punishment - talks about the rise and fall of rappers "from the penthouse to the jailhouse". Interviews some rappers who have been incarcerated at the top of their game. Pretty cool interviews and insights. At the same time, it's funny to hear the rationale some of them have about how they shouldn't have been so harshly punished. Then again, should someone who raps about violence and gets arrested on a gun charge, get a harsher penalty than someone who hasn't released a "violent" rap song?

Jay-Z: Reasonable Doubt - the true genius of Jay-Z, IMO, is he never admits to being a drug dealer. He talks a lot about being a Hustler and being involved in the activities that his peers were involved in in his neighborhood; but he never comes right out and says "I sold crack, weed, etc". The other cool thing is how he always saw the benefits of the Long Con; he never went for the immediate reward b/c it was short sighted. This doc was a pretty cool insight into what a brilliant businessman he is as much as a great rapper.

Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon - part of that Classic Albums series on Netflix. Pretty cool "making of" documentary. I never really appreciated how technologically advanced (using samplers/sequencers) and forward thinking they were. I'm embarrassed to say I don't have this album. Gonna have to get it.

Black Sabbath: Paranoid - another Classic Albums "making of". Pretty cool to see how groundbreaking Sabbath was during that time.

The Flaming Lips: The Fearless Freaks - Wayne Coyne is a pretty interesting dude. I'm so envious of people who dedicate their life to their art because they see it as their calling. He looks like he's having so much fun doing it. I left Fredonia, NY right when they were there recording Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (they recorded at Tarbox studios, just outside of Fredonia), so I'd see Stephen Drozd BJ's which is the bar I spent most of my time and all the Tarbox bands would hang at. It was cool to see it mentioned in the doc that Drozd moved there to quit heroin. He and his lady friend became close w/ one of my friends so she'd talk about his struggles. I wonder if he's clean now. But, man, what a talent, that guy.

Life After Django Reinhardt - interviews w/ descendants and disciples of Django. Man, love watching those Gypsy Jazz guys play! Makes me want to take lessons and learn that style. Such a cool combination of fun, swing, and artistry.

• Members

Watching the flaming lips doc. Crazy he still lives in that little {censored} town

It's actually a pretty cool little town. Laid back and some good peeps. I kinda miss it.

Archived