Got electrocuted on stage earlier, I'm probably fine right?

• Members

If you're genuinely worried then a guitar effects forum is literally the last place on earth you should be asking for advice. Go see your doctor. 99.9% chance he'll say you're just fine. Most of the damage done by an electric shock occurs at the point where the current enters your body, the point where it exits, and the tissue in between.

• Members

Electrocuted means to be killed by electricity....you are fine but you are suffering from a case of severe exaggeration.

:lol:

and my brother's an electrician. he used to put forks and wires in outlets to build up a tolerance. of course he's dead now. the coroner said something about a shock or something.

• Members

In '82 I worked for the company that got the first AED (automaic defibrillator) through FDA approval.

Did some engineering, but mostly tech-work in manufacturing. I was the designated "un{censored} this {censored}ed up unit" guy, and worked many Saturday's on units that the regular techs could not figure out. This particular unit was known to have been wired up horribly wrong in the high voltage section (just basically a defib cap, a HUGE foilcoil for wave shaping, the HV supply, a massive 16 KV relay, a dummy load that should have been across the cap when the relay was at rest, and a 1000:1 divider so mear mortal DMMs could look at the HV cap (5 Kv lives there, when charged). Well, this unit would whine horribly when it charged and could never deliver the 400 Joule charge properly....and smelt of ozone. So it was put in my pile where I dug into it on a Saturday when there was only me and the janitor inthe building. So I start hanging my meter on the 1000:1 divider...looks to be 0.0V...good. So i start tracing out all the wiring which, back in '82, only came in one color : white. No color-coded, highly flexible 6Kv-rated wire yet available. Being a good, safe employee, I use only one hand to trace the wires, and have my other hand 3 feet away on a rubber antistatic mat. Anyway, so I trace wires from the high voltage Supply to the first relay to the cap and.....PHHHHZAP! a brilliant blue arc reaches out from one of the Cap terminals, jumps a half inch and hits my fingertip. The only things I remember from there was seeing the ceiling roll past me, over my head, and a strange sensation like my shouldblades slapped together. (I gueass about) 5 minutes later, the face of the janitor peers down at me thru the fog and says "well, I guess he's gonna be ok...." . I slowly come to and drag my ass into the local Urgent Care facility and tell my story. Once the Doc verified I was alivehe starts asking all these questions like "what did you feel?" and "do you remember any pain?" and stuff like that. I asked him why, and he said "well, you're one of the few people who's ever been defibrillated who might remeber what it was like...you see, everyone else who gets that shock is dead."

...makes you kinda think.

Anyway, he said my shoulder blades probably DID meet somewhere behind my back, due to the massive shock and the ultimate muscle contraction it causes....and oh yeah....my ribs ached for weeks.

i think this guy just pissed and took a huge F$&$^%ing dump all over your thread,

i was going to post about how i got shocked through a mic once, but holy {censored} how am i going to follow up the 1st defib shock in history?

i liked to shock myself when i was a kid (and jump off roofs) for fun so i think i built up a huge tolerance for it.

• Members

Not the first defib shock...those were done back in the 50's.
But this was the first AED (no MD/EMT analysis...all by machine)....and this machine was just sitting there unplugged.

2 additional bits:

1) this was the "discharge path....beware amp-guys, it can happen to you, too:
Defib Cap > air-arc > finger > MY EFFIN BODY > out the other hand > in contact with antistatic mat > back to metal chassis.
The key here is: the antistatic pads breakbown and conduct at around 500V, so the 5kV saw a path to ground and went for it.

2) I have had a "regularly irregular" heartbeat ever since....I throw a PVC about once every 6-8 beats.

• Members

Not the first defib shock...those were done back in the 50's.

But this was the first AED (no MD/EMT analysis...all by machine)....and this machine was just sitting there unplugged.

2 additional bits:

1) this was the "discharge path....beware amp-guys, it can happen to you, too:

Defib Cap > air-arc > finger > MY EFFIN BODY > out the other hand > in contact with antistatic mat > back to metal chassis.

The key here is: the antistatic pads breakbown and conduct at around 500V, so the 5kV saw a path to ground and went for it.

2) I have had a "regularly irregular" heartbeat ever since....
I throw a PVC
about once every 6-8 beats.

• Members

In '82 I worked for the company that got the first AED (automaic defibrillator) through FDA approval.

Did some engineering, but mostly tech-work in manufacturing. I was the designated "un{censored} this {censored}ed up unit" guy, and worked many Saturday's on units that the regular techs could not figure out. This particular unit was known to have been wired up horribly wrong in the high voltage section (just basically a defib cap, a HUGE foilcoil for wave shaping, the HV supply, a massive 16 KV relay, a dummy load that should have been across the cap when the relay was at rest, and a 1000:1 divider so mear mortal DMMs could look at the HV cap (5 Kv lives there, when charged). Well, this unit would whine horribly when it charged and could never deliver the 400 Joule charge properly....and smelt of ozone. So it was put in my pile where I dug into it on a Saturday when there was only me and the janitor inthe building. So I start hanging my meter on the 1000:1 divider...looks to be 0.0V...good. So i start tracing out all the wiring which, back in '82, only came in one color : white. No color-coded, highly flexible 6Kv-rated wire yet available. Being a good, safe employee, I use only one hand to trace the wires, and have my other hand 3 feet away on a rubber antistatic mat. Anyway, so I trace wires from the high voltage Supply to the first relay to the cap and.....PHHHHZAP! a brilliant blue arc reaches out from one of the Cap terminals, jumps a half inch and hits my fingertip. The only things I remember from there was seeing the ceiling roll past me, over my head, and a strange sensation like my shouldblades slapped together. (I gueass about) 5 minutes later, the face of the janitor peers down at me thru the fog and says "well, I guess he's gonna be ok...." . I slowly come to and drag my ass into the local Urgent Care facility and tell my story. Once the Doc verified I was alivehe starts asking all these questions like "what did you feel?" and "do you remember any pain?" and stuff like that. I asked him why, and he said "well, you're one of the few people who's ever been defibrillated who might remeber what it was like...you see, everyone else who gets that shock is dead."

...makes you kinda think.

Anyway, he said my shoulder blades probably DID meet somewhere behind my back, due to the massive shock and the ultimate muscle contraction it causes....and oh yeah....my ribs ached for weeks.

You were probably the first person ever to be defib'd!

Archived